PDA

View Full Version : Question about Batteries

esfishdoc
10-31-2012, 13:11
I know there is not a perfect answer for this... but here it is.

I've got a 2005 2500 with 110,000 miles and the original batteries. I am going on a trip next week where the temps may easily get down to 15 to 20. (at home it will stay around 40) The batteries are now about 7 years old... no problems. Do I replace them before the trip? How long have your batteries lasted? No unusual stresses on them and they have never been discharged.

Comments and thoughts welcomed.

Thanks,

Richard

DmaxMaverick
10-31-2012, 13:30
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

15-20° isn't that cold, to the batteries. Sub-zero, perhaps. Since they seem to be working well now, test them individually, if you have the time. Just disconnect one ground (secure it), and operate on one battery for a couple days. Repeat with the other battery (connect the ground, before disconnecting the other). If they do fine individually in your 40° weather, they'll do fine together in colder weather. If either battery seems to have an issue during the test, replace both.

Mark Rinker
10-31-2012, 13:46
Okay I am of the school of 'an ounce of prevention', and make my living with my truck.

7yr batteries are due for replacement. A big swing to either hot (most likely) or cold will often flesh out the weak battery. Why discover the likely outcome that your firewall mounted battery will fail on this trip, and you'll lose a 1/2 day in the process of replacement?

Bolt in a couple fresh Delcos from your GM dealer and travel in confidence.

esfishdoc
10-31-2012, 19:23
Exactly where I am... between 2 very good rules to live by.

Here is my decision: I'll be on a hunting trip in the mountains... and it just isn't worth it to not replace them... which is a hard pill to swallow because I'm usually a "if ain't broke" kind of guy.

Richard

a5150nut
11-01-2012, 04:44
Don't worry about it, unlss you hear banjo music. . . . .

Kennedy
11-01-2012, 08:38
We recently did an injector job and noticed that whil ethe truck cranked OK it was just a bit lazy. Batteries were 5 years old as I recall. Mentioned to customer when he picked up the truck suggesting that at best this was his last winter on them since he winters in FL. A couple weeks later I got an email saying truck running great, but had to replace batteries on the road...

esfishdoc
11-02-2012, 05:03
And WOW.... I am amazed at how much faster the engine cranks during starting. One less thing to worry about.

Thanks to all....

Richard
Franktown, Virginia