PDA

View Full Version : Total Seal piston rings

5.7L oldsdiesel
05-03-2005, 12:36
I've just purchased a new set of 4 inch total seal gapless rings for my 350 Oldsmobile by using the "BUY IT NOW" option on EBAY.The seller said he has many sizes to choose from.After winning the bid,the parts guy on the phone says he does'nt have a listing for the 350 diesel,which is what i have,so i'm wondering if the total seal rings from a 350 Olds gas engine application will work.I did some research,and the ring packs are the same:5/64,5/64 and 3/16,and both oldsmobile gas and diesel cylinder bores are the same at 4.057 inches.The total seal top compression ring is moly with a gapless 2nd ring.What do you guys think?Will that application work in my 350 diesel?Any suggestions would surely be appreciated.

Thank you

AndyL
05-03-2005, 17:38
I think it would work, but I am no expert!

patrick m.
05-04-2005, 17:11
im not so sure, the environment in the combustion chaimber of a gas engine is very different from a diesel engine.

i wonder, if the measurements are the same why arent they listed for the diesel as well, probably because they arent meant to be used in a diesel.

my bet.

dieseldummy
05-04-2005, 18:24
The actual composition of the material the rings is made out of could be the difference I would guess. Maybe not tough enough to take the stresses of diesel operation. Find a good machine shop and pick their brain, they should know the answer to this question.