PDA

View Full Version : 96 Silverado Power Side Mirror Replacement

Fishnfool
12-02-2012, 20:13
Anyone have tips on how to R&R the DS Power Mirror assembly on a 96 Silverado? Also, found a replacement on eBay that's a lot less $ that OEM but am worried about it being a POS - anyone know anything about these inexpensive mirrors?

Chevrolet Power Side Mirror Assembly (http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Drivers-Power-Side-Mirror-Glass-Housing-Assembly-Chevy-GMC-Pickup-Truck-SUV-/230854670085?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1996|Submodel%3ASilverado&hash=item35c002b705&vxp=mtr)

DennisG01
12-03-2012, 07:39
Removing this is one of the simplest things you can do. Remove the interior, plastic "sail panel". It's the triangular-shaped piece on the opposite side of the door than the mirror. It "pops" off - just pry it carefully. Once you do, you'll see 3 nuts to remove and the wire to disconnect.

I do not have any experience with that company you linked to. At $30, my gut tells my to "pass". I replaced my OEM mirrors, but I went with larger, power-slide outs.

How much are they through the dealer? Another place to check (for quality parts) is LMC Truck.

Fishnfool
12-03-2012, 09:22
Thanks Dennis

I too have a feeling anything that cheap would be poor quality (Chinese) junk. I've got a Pick-N-Pull in the area, will swing by there and see if they might have an OEM assembly.

Dave

jamesm
12-03-2012, 10:35
I accidentally bought one of those cheezy ones for the previous 1997 burb. It rattled so bad as to be useless.