PDA

View Full Version : 2500hd 2004.5 fuel mileage question

gary_lucas
12-05-2012, 23:05
I spent a few minutes tinkering with the edge unit that came with my truck.

My dashboard fuel consumption meter reads 16.1 l/100km which is about 15mpg.

Kind of low for the truck, I generally don't drive aggresively and the truck doesn't get driven much. However this has been the reading since I got it about 6 months ago.

When I got the MPG gauge on the Edge module set up I was getting 18-23 MPG (City / Highway) which seems pretty close to optimal.

I'm going to start logging fuel consumption to see what I'm really getting. Anyone have experience with the edge units? Are they more or less accurate than the built in gauge?

Gary

Kennedy
12-07-2012, 12:49
When using most aftermarket programmers or boxes the fuel econ calculator gets skewed high by quite a margin. verify speedo against a GPS and then calculate miles drive versus gallons delivered by same pump at same flow rate etc.

gary_lucas
01-17-2013, 22:02
Yup, first tank down... Edge unit is quite far off... City driving is about 14.5mpg which isn't great at all...

Too much stop and go...

Next tank will be mostly highway.

After that will be with a 3000lb trailer highway :)

G

More Power
03-19-2013, 09:51
I suspect you'll see an improvement of 1-2 mpg once warmer temperatures arrive and summer #2 diesel fuel becomes available. Around here, summer fuel arrives sometime in April.

Jim

gary_lucas
03-19-2013, 09:55
Right on, I didn't know that winter fuel hurt fuel economy.

On the highway I get much, much better economy, the 14.5 seems to be consistent in the city.

Thanks for the info.

Driving Vancouver, BC to Las Vegas Nevada at the end of the month with the trailer, will be interesting to see how the fuel economy is.