PDA

View Full Version : Power upgrades for 93 6.5 td

Andy104
05-03-2005, 17:50
I'm new to the forum, and was not sure where to post this.
I work on a Top Alcohol funny car, and the owner/driver tows the trailer with a 1993 GMC 1 ton pick-up. The trailer is a pace bigfoot, 44ft long with a fith-wheel hook up, and triple axles. I'm not too sure about the total weight of it empty, or fully loaded.
He and I did some work to the truck already, like a banks exuast system, banks turbo wastgate mod, new injector pump, and injectors about 75,000 miles ago.
The truck has 210,000 miles on it, and has/will travel across the USA. During a hill cilmb with a fully loaded trailer the egt gauge will get up to 1150 to 1200 deg. and boost will only get up to 8psi max(stock turbo).
We are looking for some more performance mods for towing and power without affecting mpg to extreme. We are also wondering if we should rebuild the engine at this time to freshen it up.
He is looking to keep the truck for quite some time an does take very great care of it. The engine oil and filter are changed after every trip, and trans fluid and fuel filter also.
Any help with this would be greatly appreacated. I have already purchased the 6.2 book from The Diesel Page for a future project(motor home), and have already learned some things.
I'm a fleet diesel mech. by trade, so I like to tincker around with diesels, and learn new things big and small.

Thanks again for the help and time with this.

Andy S.

Dvldog 8793
05-03-2005, 18:04
Howdy
If you haven't already done it then do the '97 cooling mods. I use a turbomaster boost control now but have used an electronic boost control and was happy with either. GM-8 turbo would probably help. Next time you replace the injectors get some high flow Bosch Marine 300hp. with more boost you need more fuel. the only time I noticed a decline in MPG was when I put in a new computer. BUT the performance was worth it for me. My truck still gets 20MPG at 75 unloaded. Upgrade to a newer style airbox/intake system. The list goes on and on and on.... :D

Do you plan going to the Nationals at Brainerd Minnesota?
L8r
Conley

Andy104
05-03-2005, 18:34
We have not done much to the cooling system,and replaced the injectors, and pump with stock ones(not knowing any better). We have not done a alot with the cooling system, and I forgot to mention that we have a k&n air system(if that makes any improvements).

We are hoping to make it to the Brainerd Nats., but we blew up the motor pretty good in Indy for the divisonals. If finances are good we will be there.

Andy

RT
05-03-2005, 18:55
Keep the EGT's under 1100* preturbo and the motor will last longer. Increase boost to 10-11psi. This will help with EGT's. Heath Diesel and Kennedy offer a good boost controller, the Turbomaster. Look into the 97 cooling mods, you should have them if you tow that heavy and regularly. GM8 turbo would be a good cheap upgrade. Lastly, you really need an intercooler. Kennedy Diesel has the one you want. Its not cheap but it will allow you to keep the EGT's completely in check and takes a lot of stress off the engine. Once all this is done you can think about high flow injectors or a turned up pump. Other than that you are on the right track. RT

Dvldog 8793
05-03-2005, 22:48
Howdy
If you have the old style flat air filter I would lose it in favor of the newer round type system. There are many articles about the flat one having sealing problems. A couple of vendors are making air systems, otherwise just go to a junk yard and get the parts along with a GM-8 turbo, and the cooling mods for a 97. If the truck is otherwise good I would leave it along as far as a rebuild. If aint broke ect....
If you do a search on this page about performance modifications you will come up with LOTS of things to try, many of them are almost free. If you make it out for the Nationals you are more than welcome to look at/drive my truck and see what the difference is. Of coarse I would need to drive the car in return! :D ;)
I will be out there with my kids for their first time. I've told them the earth shakes and they can't quite figure it out!( they're only 3,6,&7 years old)
Look into doing some of the reliabilty/heat mods first and then start running things up. Sounds like you have a good set of gauges already? Did your exhuast include a down pipe? Your truck has a mechanical injection pump, right? You might want to look inot a good water injection system, some people like it some don't.
L8r
Conley

ogrice
05-05-2005, 14:10
It says 210k on the truck. What condition is the turbo in.? You might want to have it reconditioned/rebuilt or buy a newer turbo. Cooling mod is a must. I wouldn't add more power without doing that first.
I finished a build up on my engine a last of year.
Use the search feature and look up,
"engine rebuild feedback"
This is pretty comprehensive about what I did. There are a handful of things that I left out and some things since then that I have added since then. I tow a carhauler and vehicle weight around 6000# all day long with 18mpg. Over 21mpg unloaded with that setup.

cruzer
05-13-2005, 12:09
I concur with the previous posts. 1 thing i did not see but may have missed it,is remove the snorkle in the fender and refer to Kennedy's web site and look at tech tips and mod the upper intake. My mods that are listed below will not disappoint. GM left a lot of power on the table.
My mileage is about the same as b4 mods.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!
Ken

I pull approx 8000-9000# w/great power.