PDA

View Full Version : Did I make a $20k mistake?

DChristie
12-07-2012, 08:39
I bought my '04 DA LB7 just a few weeks ago, and proceded to re-join TDP.

I realize this is the place to ask questions about problems and issues, but EGAAD! I am beginning to wonder if I should just dump the truck while I can!

There doesn't seem to be any correlation to what goes wrong and when or how. Injectors, regen, hard starts, no starts, stalls, Fuel in crankcase etc. ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

It's bone stock, as far as I know, and has never needed, or had anything more than fuel, oil changes and other minor maintainance done.

I've bought an aftermarket fuel filter (2 micron) and fuel additives for cetane boost and lubricity. ( I haven't recieved or used either yet)

Somebody pat me on the head and tell me it'll be ok! Please!!! That I'm gonna love this truck for a very very long time...

More Power
12-07-2012, 10:20
Egaad....

One thing to firmly keep in mind. The online world is a catchall for complaints and problems. Those Duramax owners whose ownership is relatively troublefree rarely post their experience. What we end up with is a severe tilt toward problems - not satisfaction.

Dealership service managers eventually come to the conclusion that everyone has problems with their car/truck. Doctors eventually see everyone as sick people. Dentists eventually see everyone as having bad teeth. Diesel bulletin boards are landing zones for owners of problem trucks...

The reality is somewhat different for the population at large. Jim

tx dave
12-07-2012, 20:14
D. :) I've owned a 2001 since new, I've replaced the injectors , head gaskets then the whole motor 3 years ago, last summer I had to put injectors in the new motor, the truck now has a mere 287,000 miles, I run 4 inch exhaust, Volante Ram Air, still have original brake, It still runs just like new and i don't think I will ever get rid of this truck, It just fits, pulls all of my trailers with out a worry, I wouldn't hesitate to jump in it right now and drive across this great country. So in my opinion you have not wasted any money, just drive it, love it, and when it does give you a little trouble spent the money and get back to enjoying. If you want to have a great, comfortable truck you have made the right choice and if you're like me you will have it a long, long time.:)

EdHale
12-08-2012, 05:23
My truck, in my signature, is bone stock and will stay that way. I currently have 115,000 on it and problems have been few and far between. So far I have replaced 3 glow plugs, 2 under warranty. One windshield washer pump and tank, just last week. Other than that nothing but oil/filter changes plus power steering fluid change last summer. Obviously the air filter when needed. I do change my oil and filter every 5,000 miles. I just can't go longer than that regardless of what the computer says. I change my trans fluid and spin on filter every 25,000 miles.

Like what was said earlier, this truck gets me around as a DD and pulls my 5'er just perfect. I plan on driving it for a long long time to come.

DChristie
12-08-2012, 13:40
Thanks everybody!
I'll breath. I like the truck! It'll be great!

DickWells
12-09-2012, 07:01
I bought our 04 Sierra in 06, with 45 K on the clock. At 86K, the injectors were replaced in 07, at zero expense to me. In 010, at 121K, the injectors were replace at $4000.00 plus expense to me! But, I'm not complaining. I love the truck. Look forward to every cross-country trip with it. I don't tow as heavy as some, but the truck doesn't get babied, either. We gross just about 21,000 lbs, and almost 75% of our mileage is towing mileage.
I have an S&B intake (which I probably shouldn't have), an MBRP exhaust, Edge Juice system, Fass fuel system, and an Amsoil dual by-pass oil system. None of these have ever added up to more than 12+ mpg, while towing, and, if I've got my foot in it, like the hell-bent trip from Texas to Oregon, last Spring, it won't average much over 10. Still, that power is almost addictive, if I'm not careful. It's litterally the quickest vehicle, other than my Spyder, that I've ever owned. Always led a "sheltered" and impoverished, life, you see.:D
Jim is right on the money with his comments. If I have to spring for another set of injectors tomorrow, I'll still love this truck. With 152K on it, now, it still has all the original brake parts, near as I can tell, and the only front-end parts replaced are, both front-wheel bearings and one upper ball joint. I've replaced the rear universal and the mid-ship bearing, and, oh yeah, the famous upper, intermediate steering shaft. I did put Bilsteins on it, just after I bought it. That's it.
Hope you enjoy your truck as much as I have this one.

tufcj
12-10-2012, 12:15
Bought my 03 LB7 in 04 with about 24K miles. Just turned 136K. Still bone stock except for 265 tires. GM did injectors under warranty in late 2009 with just under 100K on it, and I've had the speedo/tach fail 3 times (reimbursed by GM). I also had the dreaded t-case wear thru leak, repaired myself. Other than that, it's really been a reliable and trouble free truck for the last 8 years. I pull a 7K gross trailer regularly, and occasionally a 12K triple axle.

Bob
tufcj