PDA

View Full Version : ABS light, breaking issue

scot5146
12-10-2012, 16:08
Hey Y'all

Its been awhile but I guess thats good, meaning my Suburban has been running great...

However my ABS light is intermittentley coming on and off, the breaks act funny getting really soft then hard and growning on turuning...

Not really sure where to start, any help would be appreciated!

Mike
Firefighter
Vancouver/WA

Rig:

1999 k2500 4x4 Suburban, 6.5 all the goodies!

a5150nut
12-10-2012, 19:41
Checked and cleand all the wheel sensors?

scot5146
12-12-2012, 10:50
I will try that, I will check them out asap...

Robyn
12-16-2012, 09:50
If the pedal gets soft and the thing groans and buzz's, its likely that the ABS unit is going south.

The wheel sensors, if faulty or dirty as mentioned can cause the ABS to activate when it should not

Your 99 has fully enclosed sensors, so not likely a DIRT ISSUE

Pull the codes and see if there are any issues with the ABS

Missy

scot5146
12-18-2012, 11:18
Plugged in the scanner and no codes? Now what?

Mike

scot5146
01-06-2013, 11:50
If the pedal gets soft and the thing groans and buzz's, its likely that the ABS unit is going south.

The wheel sensors, if faulty or dirty as mentioned can cause the ABS to activate when it should not

Your 99 has fully enclosed sensors, so not likely a DIRT ISSUE

Pull the codes and see if there are any issues with the ABS

Missy

Well I tryed to scan for codes but nothing, I am assuming the ABS is going south as you mentioned but again I am not getting any codes? Is there a test I can do to comfirm thats the problem?

Thanks

Mike

mrwilecoyote
01-06-2013, 15:07
what kind of scanner are you using ? ABS codes are different than engine codes. The cheaper code readers don't read ABS.
If the ABS light has been on it should have stored codes.

scot5146
01-07-2013, 10:13
what kind of scanner are you using ? ABS codes are different than engine codes. The cheaper code readers don't read ABS.
If the ABS light has been on it should have stored codes.

Thats good to know I have a cheap scanner so its probably just not picking them up, I will get my buddies nice one and try again...

Thanks

Mike

Kennedy
01-07-2013, 12:30
The sensor is "tied down" to the wheel bearing assembly using a single screw through an offset flange. Rust can form under the sensor flange and "heave" the sensor out of the bore just enough to cause intermittent loss of signal. Pull the sensor out, clean the rust and apply a film of dielectric grease to the body of the wheel bearing housing before reinstalling.