PDA

View Full Version : Plse advise on purchase of high miles Express

Dura-express
12-22-2012, 01:16
My first post on this great site. I am considering buying a dmax equipped 2008 Express, SRW 2500 (?) (9600 # GVWR) cut-away with an aerodynamic fiberglass cube for a specialized camper/toy hauler project. The price seems in-line with the high miles, 239.5K, and overall very good cosmetic condition. The vehicle does not have a hitch, nor does the load floor appear to have seen real hellish loads, it was used in the service of medical equipment. I am in the process of attaining service and repair data. My question is this: if the vehicle has been properly maintained and not abused, how scared should I be of the miles in terms of overdue "normal" failures and associated expenses, ie. what is the life expectancy of the transmission, turbo, EGR, differential?

Yukon6.2
12-22-2012, 23:17
Hi Dura
Welcome to the forum.
If you can get the maintance records you will have a better idea.
Others will chime in that have high mile rigs,but from what i have read and heard on here i wouldn't look at those being high miles,more like mid life for a dmax,and i'm assuming an allison trans.Look at the front end for possibale new parts or evidence of tire wear on the inside of the tires,one of the ambulances in town here has needed front end work,and its about the same yr.It probly wouln't be your daily driver so in a few yrs the milage wouln't look so bad.
Sounds like a clean rig,look it over and find all the little things it needs and point them out and knock the price down,or have them fixed.
Good Luck
Thomas

GMC Tech
12-23-2012, 08:12
Express vans with the D-Max are not the same as the trucks. The engine is de rated. 260 HP and 525 Torque and it does not have the Allison trans behind it. It uses a 4L85E trans. When I was in the dealer I rebuilt several of these behind the diesel. If your looking for a vehicle that will tow as well as the truck, get a truck.

Dura-express
12-23-2012, 10:09
Thanks for chiming in Yukon 6.2 / GMC Tech. I did receive a clean carfax including an 8 page service history report from the seller. Vehicle was inspected and serviced as a critical fleet vehicle like clockwork. Most of the service was done at Robertson's GMC Truck in Wareham, MA. The van logged close to 60K miles per year for four years. Trans appears to be original, so this will be an item of interest during my final pre-purchase inspection, as will be the concerns about surface rust on chassis. A trans rebuild is an acceptable future investment since I got the vehicle for less than $9K, and she is clean as a whistle. Any good tips for evaluating the 4L85E?

Regarding my future use for the vehicle, I will be towing a fishing boat on a single axle trailer, total weight is less than 1600 pounds. The inside will carry a pair of woods dirtbikes and then convert to a spartan camper at night. The primary decision to go with the dmax was to have a reliable pressurized intake engine for going over 11,000 foot mountain passes, something my '98 Express with 5.7L Vortec did not excell at, however it never let me down either for 135K mi.