PDA

View Full Version : 05 hiccup/cough while accelerating

sleddheadd
12-23-2012, 11:56
My truck has a hiccup/cough while i am accelerating. It is showing codes p0046 and p2563. I took it to my local dealer a while back, They cleared the codes and told me it was fixed. As soon as I left the dealer, I hammered the pedal, the truck coughed and the light was back on. I took it back, they kept it another 3 days and told me that i needed a new turbo chsrger and bill would be $3k to fix. I do not believe that it needs a new turbo because the light will go away for weeks at a time and the truck will run like its brand new.
any help ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

lmholmes11
12-23-2012, 14:33
Maybe the Vane position sensor or the vanes are sticking?

GM Customer Service
12-24-2012, 10:07
My truck has a hiccup/cough while i am accelerating. It is showing codes p0046 and p2563. I took it to my local dealer a while back, They cleared the codes and told me it was fixed. As soon as I left the dealer, I hammered the pedal, the truck coughed and the light was back on. I took it back, they kept it another 3 days and told me that i needed a new turbo chsrger and bill would be $3k to fix. I do not believe that it needs a new turbo because the light will go away for weeks at a time and the truck will run like its brand new.
any help ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

I would like to take a look at this and research the concern further. Please send me your first and last name, address, phone number, VIN, mileage, and involved dealership name.

Brandon
GM Customer Service

Kennedy
12-26-2012, 09:49
Hmm, could have swore I replied here. Must have never submitted or got lost in submission.

There are factory programming updates for the LLY pertaining to EGR making the engine cough or pop through the intake. Turbo bark/compressor surge more or less. This may not be your issue, but bear in mind the EGR can cause problems.

What I have been hearing a lot these days is turbo vane control rings sticking. The Tech 2 can coomand vane position so I'd start there and see if the position follows the commands smoothly. If the turbo is found to be at fault, some replace the turbo itself (around $1600 for turbo itself) while other more thrifty owners have removed the turbo and cleaned up the corrosion and reinstalled. The turbo vanes tend to operate in a relatively narrow window of position. At idle you may hear the exhaust note change. This is teh vanes opening and closing in an effort to keep them clear. I've also done some changes in programming to try to use a greater range of operation and keep them moving more.

sleddheadd
01-15-2013, 17:47
I finally took this truck to a highly recommended diesel mechanic in our area. Heavy metal Performance and they specialize in Duramax, Cummings and Powerstrokes only! nothing else!
They caught the turbo vane postition sensor code right away, the same code that I was getting. Pulled the sensor, did a continuity check and it went straight to 1.88888. It was supposed to slowly climb to 6.0 or something like that. He said that he has seen a dozen trucks in his time with this problem and they all went straight to 1.88888 immediately so he was pretty confident that the sensor was the only problem.
the ordered up a GM original part that cost $404 dollars It took them 2 minutes to replace, 15 to reprogram and a test drive like they stole it to find out that the problem was fixed!
Saved me a lot of money from the $3,000 that I was quoted from Phillips Chevrolet for a new turbo!

sleddheadd
01-15-2013, 17:49
I would like to take a look at this and research the concern further. Please send me your first and last name, address, phone number, VIN, mileage, and involved dealership name.

Brandon
GM Customer ServiceI will get you this information in a private message Brandon. Thank you for looking in to this. It would be nice to see a dealer that isn't out to take advantage of anyone who walks through the door!
Mark