PDA

View Full Version : fuel relief valve??....need help ASAP!!!

James Schaack
02-04-2004, 22:00
this evening i was in the process of replacing my radiator, hoses, and thermostat when i created a big problem. i was trying to loosen the nut towards the driver's side of the thermostat housing that also has that little brass valve (fuel relief?) attached to it. well, the top nut was stuck on the stud and i was turning the whole thing(top nut, valve bracket, bottom nut, shank). i wasn't paying attention and as i turned the nut/shank combo i ran the bottom spiget of the brass valve into the thermostat housing, breaking it off.

i have a couple of questions i'm hoping will get answered. first off, what is the brass valve for? it looks to be connected to the IP but i'm not sure. second, is there a particular name for this piece so i can communicate with the part-store guys? third, is this a part i can get at any parts store, or will i need to go to the dealer?

any help will be greatly appreciated, as this is my only vehicle! :mad:

thanks,

james

DmaxMaverick
02-04-2004, 22:44
That brass valve is your fuel filter water/sediment drain. It is connected to the bottom of the fuel filter housing. Max pressure is about 7 PSI (OEM). You could replace it with the OEM valve, but any valve that will fit that tolerates Diesel fuel will work, such as a SS or brass ball valve, which, IMO, would be better. Don't sweat. You didn't brake anything really important. You could plug it off until you get a replacement.

Cheers

James Schaack
02-05-2004, 08:37
thanks Dmax, if feel like an idiot for not knowing where the water drain valve was on the 6.5L after owning it for months. oh well, i guess you learn something new every day. i ended up caping the hose for the time being; i went to the gm dealer and ordered a new valve, should be here tomorrow. i love how one project turns into another! :rolleyes:

thanks again,

james