PDA

View Full Version : the cold took a toll on the old girl

alderson95
12-30-2012, 15:07
first off thanks for reading. for the past couple of days i have been having to jump start my 1996 gmc k3500 6.5ltd 4l80e vin:f. i figured my alternator was going out. but thats besides the point. Wensday i had gon out and started to truck and let it warm up before i went to work. the temp out side was about 20f, with wind chill that made it like -6f. I let the truck idle for about 15 min. got in and the temp was at about 165f giver take a few degrease. i start down the road about a mile the truck is still picking up temp. at my first turn its at 200f. i start to go down the road and the temp keeps climbing. no i have to say the normale running temp on this thing is about 180f. so i watch the gauge making sure it dont get to hot. i get down the road a little ways about 2 more miles, and the temp is getting close to about 240f. so i turn around to come get my dads truck. Just as i get to my second to last turn the truck is way down on power and fixing to hit 260f. i start to pull over and shut it down when the truck dies. i had called my dad to tow me back to the house and while sitting the waiting on him after about 5 to 6 min the frozen water in the truck breaks loose and starts boiling into the burp jug. we pull the truck back home and leav in pluged up to the block heater all day. when i got back home from work first thing i do is check the oil. no water in it or anything so i figured in good there. i check the rest of the motor over all looks ok just needs more antifreeze. i try to start the truck and dang batteries dead. So i jump it try starting it and it wounlt start, it will trun over fine just no start. i checked my glowplug wires and all are getting hot, even with a dumby plug. my lift pump is working cuz im getting fule to the (IP). i have taken the injection lines loose from the injectors on the drivers side and it doesnt seen like its getting any fule to the injectors it barley trickes out of the lines. anybody have any ideas of what the problem could be. and yes i have checked all fuses and my pmd has been relocated. thanks for reading

alderson95
12-30-2012, 18:15
ok im getting fule now i just happend to pull the batteris and i geus it reset somthing. so the rtuck is turning over but still no start. it acts like its right there. there is little bit of white smoke from the exhaust so im going to autozone tommorow and get some new glow plugs cuz the truck needs it any ways.

rapidoxidationman
12-30-2012, 18:21
20 degrees isn't that cold and a wind chill (ANY) wind chill) just means it gets to the ambient temperature sooner - it won't get colder than that. Are you running pure water as a coolant?????
"Antifreeze" also is a lubricant/anti scale/anti corrosion for the cooling system. A 50/50 dexcool/distilled water is the norm, and it won't freeze until something like -40*F.

If your system froze up, does your water pump still turn or has the impeller sheared loose from the shaft?

When's the last time you replaced the fuel filter? Do you have any flow from the bleeder on the filter housing when the lift pump should be pushing fuel up from the tank? Does your local filling station employ anti gel additives in the colder months or do you add them yourself?

Keep us posted on what you find..

Edit: my 6.5 ate glow plugs to the tune of a set every year or two.

alderson95
12-30-2012, 20:16
I had a 50/50 set up of antifreeze in the truck but had a leak on return line to the radiator so I geus it leaked out. I would have had the block heater hoocked up the night befor but I wasn't really home for a few days. And yes I am getting fule threw the bleeder. I had just recently replacex it. But as for the glow plug I think they are original. Iv only had the truck abkut a year I got it with a bad crank.

DennisG01
12-30-2012, 22:12
Just wondering.... How much fuel is coming out of the bleeder valve? Diesel should pretty much be coming out in a continuous stream.

alderson95
12-31-2012, 07:55
The fule threw the bleeder is a good constant stream.

DennisG01
12-31-2012, 21:09
When you said the frozen water broke free, what did you mean by that?

Have you tried loosening the purge valve (I might be using the wrong term) on top of the filter (black screw thing) to get the air out?