PDA

View Full Version : Pushrods ??

BorJansson
01-01-2013, 00:52
I have my engine removed and slowly coming in to parts.
I have seen in threads, and aslo tips by Robyn, that it´s important whats up and down on pushrods.
Copper colored end up.
I could not see any difference in color on my pushrods ends ( 1994 6,5T w.160k on meter) .
But I noted that all pushrods have a dot on the "pipe" abt 1/2" from the end.
On some pushrods the dot where down against lifter and on other rods up against the rockerarm ??
Have this engine been opened before and not properly put together ??
Is there any signs showing me that I´m first one to open this motor ?
The rocker arm covers and oilpan was sealed with tons of silicone.
BorJansson

rapidoxidationman
01-01-2013, 09:46
Going purely on the experience of my d-max cuz I never had to take apart my 6.5:
Aside from the dot you mention, is there any difference at all in the ends of the push rods? On the d-max the Alldata instructions were very clear on making sure the pushrod was "clicked in" when installed:

To ensure the pushrod is properly installed, gently pull up on the pushrod. Resistance should be felt from the pushrod trying to lift the valve lifter

Do your push rods "feel" any different when opposite ends are installed?

jhornsby3
01-01-2013, 16:21
When you pulled the push rods you should have marked where they came from. They need to go back in the holes they came from. I washed mine in acetone to clean them up when mine was apart. By cleaning them good I was able to double check I was putting them in the correct way by looking at where the ball attaches to the rod. Right there at that point I could make out the differance in color. Even though I marked them and put them in their keepers correctly. If you just threw them in a box then it might be best to get all new ones. But that is just me.

John

BorJansson
01-01-2013, 21:35
Pushrods are properly stored on a wooden board with drilled holes for each rod.
I made also a small mark with a sharp file on the end that was up.
They will go back on same location, and in same direction as before.

john8662
01-02-2013, 12:00
If you look closely at the ball of the pushrod you can most of the time still view the copper end. You'll have to look for it on the spill port on the ball you can see a little of the copper lining around the hole, the rest of the ball wil normally be shiny and you won't see the coating. It's also sometime viewable on the outside of the wear (shiny) pattern where the rocker arm socket contacts the ball of the rod.

J

mrwilecoyote
01-03-2013, 19:43
Yeah hard to see but don't sweat mixing them up. As long as you have the copper end up your fine but dont assume they were in right to begin with. I recently pulled apart a 6.5 that GM dealer had done Headgaskets on and half the pushrods were upside down. Clean em and check em.
I generally do the box trick out of habit (sticking them in a box with holes)but I don't think it matters if they get mixed up.