PDA

View Full Version : NV4500 Transmission Replacement

clem_acc
01-05-2013, 16:19
Hi all,

I am getting ready to order a reman transmission for my 1995 chevy 2wd C3500 quad cab long bed pickup. is there a difference in the nv4500 for the gasoline engine and the diesel engine for this truck? also are there any recommended places to purchase this transmission?

Thanks for any input,

Scott S.

mrwilecoyote
01-05-2013, 16:44
The diesel version has a harmonic Balancer on the output shaft. That is one difference for sure.
Als0 the 95 Trans is unique. Still had external Slave and GM bolt pattern but had ratios of the 96+
Be best to get your old one rebuilt.
92-94 are low ratio, external slave, bottleneck shift tower
95 is high ratio, external slave, bolt on shift tower
96+ is high ratio, internal slave, bolt on shift tower.

mrwilecoyote
01-05-2013, 16:55
I have the .pdf for the balancer but I cannot upload it. Says it's too big and I don't know how to make it smaller.
Hopefully this works.
http://bulletins.schaeffler-aftermarket.us/displayTB.phtml?number=LB182

Now I remember. it depends if you are still running a Dual Mass clutch or not. Most have gotten rid of them.

a5150nut
01-05-2013, 22:38
Might check these guys http://www.drivetrain.com/ they even answer the phone on the weekends or at least used to. Very good and honest. Lots of help and information too.

rapidoxidationman
01-06-2013, 09:01
Maybe have the known quantity of your own transmission rebuilt instead of getting someone else's unknown history?
Have the rebuilder pay attention to 5th gear too - IIRC those were known to fall off due to a loose nut and the recommended thing to do is tack weld that nut tight.

trbankii
01-06-2013, 09:32
Maybe have the known quantity of your own transmission rebuilt instead of getting someone else's unknown history?

This. What, exactly, is wrong with the one you have?

As an aside, my neighbor was about ready to sell his Suburban (gas) because he took it to the dealer and they said he needed a new transfer case. I asked why they wouldn't rebuild it? He took it to a local transmission shop and got it rebuilt for less than 1/10th the cost the dealer quoted for installing a new one.

mrwilecoyote
01-06-2013, 10:42
Have the rebuilder pay attention to 5th gear too - IIRC those were known to fall off due to a loose nut and the recommended thing to do is tack weld that nut tight.
That was more of a Cummins problem. Very rare to see that on a GM. Not to say it can't happen but I would not weld it..The harmonic balancer prohibits using the nut with the set screw and would also make it difficul o weld anyway. These engines don't vibrate or have the torque of a Cummins. Red Loctite should be enough.

a5150nut
01-06-2013, 10:46
driverain.com has the upgrade for 5th gear. IIRC it is an allen screw to lock it together. There is a nut that goes on to hold the gear and the new nut is tapped and has an allen screw to lock it after it is tight. Since I rebuilt mine with that upgrade have had no problem with 5th gear.

They can walk you through yours or they have exchange transmissions, or you can send yours to be rebuilt.

mrwilecoyote
01-06-2013, 15:15
driverain.com has the upgrade for 5th gear. IIRC it is an allen screw to lock it together. There is a nut that goes on to hold the gear and the new nut is tapped and has an allen screw to lock it after it is tight. Since I rebuilt mine with that upgrade have had no problem with 5th gear.

They can walk you through yours or they have exchange transmissions, or you can send yours to be rebuilt.
You were able to use that with the harmonic balancer on the output shaft ?

a5150nut
01-06-2013, 19:44
You were able to use that with the harmonic balancer on the output shaft ?

It goes on the shaft behind the gear on the main shaft that engages 5th gear, inside the aluminum cover. IIRC

mrwilecoyote
01-07-2013, 07:24
yes but on GM NV's equipped with the Diesel harmonic balancer there is no way to get an allen key on it to tighten the screw that I could see.

Diesel 4 blood
01-08-2013, 18:51
They also have a upgraded nut that has set screws around it. And once the nut is tight they push brass locking pins into the threads and work much better than the one with the set screw on the side to squeeze the nut together I've had to redo several nuts on Dodge's where guys thought they did it right