PDA

View Full Version : LLY Engine Hours Reset

ljohnson
01-07-2013, 16:03
When I took in my LLY and had a Transfer Case Pump Rub Kit installed in the transfer case...my Engine Hours Meter reset to 0. The mileage/trip meter stayed the same. I contacted the dealership and asked if they reflashed my ECM. They said, "No. They can't reset the message center." Any ideas?

LJ

rapidoxidationman
01-07-2013, 17:37
"they all do that" would be the stock answer... My truck has about 165K miles on it and maybe 60 or so hours on the engine timer. It seems to reset itself on a whim and I know mine isn't the only one.

Don't know why the engineers can make an odometer that can't be changed but can't seem to make an engine timer that stays in time.:confused:

gimpyhauler
01-09-2013, 16:46
My '07 engine hours reset when I replaced my batteries. I have 170,000 miles and about a hundred hours now.

Kennedy
01-09-2013, 17:34
Mine did the same thing.

paoutdoorsman
02-07-2013, 10:54
This has happened to lots of our trucks. GM actually released a bulletin on it a while back. It happens during startup cranking, and is caused by batteries that have low voltage, or loose/corroded ground points. If memory serves me correctly, the bulletin points first to battery condition, then moves to the key ground points if the batteries are not the issue.

When it happened on mine (3 times in a two week period), I found that negative terminal on the drivers side battery was only finger tight. I cleaned and dressed the terminals on both batteries and it has not happened again.

The dealer cannot do this, but if you want your hours to be correct, and you were documenting them at fuel up like I was, Chalie at Florida Speedometer dot com can correct your engine hours for you. Some guys don't care, but I wanted mine correct.