PDA

View Full Version : Glow Plug Controller?

crashz
01-13-2013, 20:01
I'm about 80% complete with the repair of of my 1987 GMC dump truck. It runs again, but the glow plugs are coming on steadily once the engine is running.

I started the truck and let it run for a few minutes. The new (Kennedy) plugs worked well, but they stayed on for the entire time it was running. I'm used to these cycling on and off after a cold start, but these stayed on.

I then unplugged the harness at the controller and as expected, the glow plugs did not light before I started it. But once the engine caught, the glow plug light came on.

I checked all my connections, and I can't see any wires in the wrong places. A little baffled here. Is the controller shot? Can I just bypass the controller and wire in a Ford solenoid for manual glow plugs? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Leo

Subzilla
01-15-2013, 13:23
Sounds like the controller is gone. Not uncommon. Yes, you can bypass this and you should with the Ford relay and a momentary push button on the dash. It is not a difficult mod to do and will allow to NOT use the GP's when the engine is warm, thereby saving the GP's.

AKMark
01-16-2013, 11:16
I've rigged the Ford starter relay on every 6.2 I've ever owned. Love the mod, works great and up here in Alaska when it's -50 or worse, I love how I can trigger them when the engine is struggling to run (on first cold start of the day).

I've even rigged my 6.5 to have the starter relay as a backup, so it works like factory, but I can give it a few extra seconds if need by via push button.

Don't replace the controller with a new one. Not worth the money in my opinion.