PDA

View Full Version : Landrover defender 6.5TDV8

land's end 4x4
01-14-2013, 13:09
Hi,

I'm from the Netherlands, currently building a 6.5td into a defender.

Had it running already before restauration of the car, but have come across some issues

Just some pics of the project ,

More Power
01-14-2013, 16:21
Welcome to the board! Looks like a cool project, and I like the front suspension mods.

It appears by the photos that you're using the DS4 electronic fuel injection pump. I'd recommend against that.... for simplicity and reliability reasons. The DB2 mechanical fuel injection pump would be a lot simpler and will provide more reliability....

Keep us posted about your progress!

Jim

Heartbeat Hauler
01-14-2013, 19:37
I am definitely diggin' that project!!!

I have always wanted a diesel defender but they are sky high here and usually right-hand drive.

Can't wait to see it finished!!

Oh and by the way; Welkom to the Deisel Place!!! :)

land's end 4x4
03-11-2013, 11:23
Hi,

check this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RdpEfyJ_aE&feature=youtu.be

More Power
03-11-2013, 15:15
Congratulations! I like your attention to detail. It must get attention when people hear the diesel rattle.... ;) Jim

hplp
06-16-2013, 04:00
Hi,
What gearbox and radiator did you use? I am looking at putting one in my defender 110 too.

Thanks,

H

greatwhite
06-16-2013, 04:44
Very nice. Sounds good.

Few questions and a suggestion:

Is that a GEP (HMMVW) Optimizer engine? The valve covers and a few other visible details seem to indicate it is.

Your filter arrangement is nicely done, but might be vulnerable to water ingress if you plan serious off roading. Is this a concern for your intended use? I probably would have built a more enclosed filter arrangement and ducted ambient air to it rather than taking engine bay air, but different strokes for different folks. :)

That is a big honkin' alternator on there. May I ask what it's from and what it's rating is?

Lastly, I would suggest you give some consideration to relocating your PMD from above the intake/engine valley area. While not as bad as having it on the pump or hanging off the side of the intake like the "FSD" design, it's still subject to heat soak up there above the engine and close to the hood sheet metal. Most of us that run a 6.5 DS4 have learned the hard way to get the heat sink well clear of engine heat, usually right outside the engine bay on a very large heat sink. It's the best chance to make the PMD live a long life.

Very nice so far, looking forward to updates.

Cheers