PDA

View Full Version : Vortec+Alison crazy dream

97vortecguy
01-18-2013, 18:39
Ok so I'm sure I lot of people here are going to laugh at my idea and say it's a waste of time. ... I have a 97 Silverado 1500 extended cab short bed 4x4 and it is my dream truck ( my grandfather had 4 of them between '89&'98) right now I'm just starting out to try to do something know one has ever seen.... I am just starting my engine build in the end its going to be a Vortec 383 stroker with twin turbos.... my problem is that I don't want a 4l60 or 4l80 behind... my dream is to put a Allison six speed behind it... can some one tell me if this is even remotely possible or should I just call this a dumb idea and move on

DmaxMaverick
01-18-2013, 19:58
Welcome to the Forums!

I don't think that's crazy, at all. You're building a lot of engine, so you're gonna need a lot of tranny. The Allison 5 speed was equipped with the Vortec 496 (8.1L), so should be a happy companion with your little mouse motor on steroids. It is an electronic controlled transmission, so some consideration is needed. However, with all the sensor inputs, it should be very simple using the 2001+ TCM. Otherwise, aftermarket controllers are available. Sun Coast, and perhaps others, has an Allison conversion that may fit your needs.

97vortecguy
01-19-2013, 12:31
Thanks maverick.... my other question is will the Allison bolt to the back of a vortec?... I've seen bellhousing adaptors to pair them with a powerstroke or Cummins but not the sbc.... by the way I'm only22 and not a trained mechanic just a kid with a love for bowties and a want and willingness to learn

DmaxMaverick
01-19-2013, 12:54
It'll bolt up fine. The real problem may be matching a flex plate. Nothing is out of reach if it's what you want to do.