PDA

View Full Version : J code intake manifold - Crossover passage

Veraneio
01-24-2013, 19:54
Maybe it is a kind of simple question but I really could find the answer anywhere... Installing a J code intake manifold do I will lose the crossover passage in the intake? If yes should I have a balance tube between the exhaust pipes? It is really necessary?

Thank you

john8662
01-25-2013, 08:16
Yes, the J code intake blocks off the exhaust ports in the heads. Never really thought about the intake as being an exhaust crossover of sorts.

It wouldn't be necessary to install an exhaust crossover pipe, but it couldn't hurt.

Robyn
01-25-2013, 08:49
The crossover at the head does nothing other than provide an exhaust source for the EGR, which is activated via the EPR VALVE.

Losing the EGR is a real plus as far as engine health goes, as the dirty exhaust soot combines with the oil vapor that comes from the CDR (CRANK CASE) and causes a huge sooty goop to form that turns to hard carbon down in the heads, then it can break off and fall into the cylinder.

The exhaust ballance tube you speak of can be installed back midship, and is only necessary if you are running open exhaust or mufflers without much baffling.

The 6.2 natural will really "rap", sort of like a SBC when wound up.

The ballance tube mellows this out, plus it's said to help slightly with power too ?????

In a stock application you dont need to worry. just drop the J intake on and let it rip

Missy

AKMark
01-25-2013, 12:45
I love the way my 6.2 raps....

Veraneio
01-25-2013, 19:02
Thanks a lot.
If anybody knows who wants to sell a J code intake (new or used) please let me know. Where could I find a new one?

john8662
01-27-2013, 11:18
I have them.

Which year and I can get you the correct J code intake for the year model you have.

Veraneio
01-27-2013, 16:11
Its a 1983 6.2 Diesel Suburban 4x4.
Let me know. thanks