PDA

View Full Version : Just Bought a 95 6.5 With Blown Head Gasket

southernk30
01-26-2013, 13:04
So I just picked up a 1995 Suburban that the guy said he blew the head gasket. He was coming home on new years when it started blowing white smoke out of the exhaust. He said it never over heated. Once he got home it tired starting it the next day and he but it wouldnt turn over, so he stopped and didnt try again because he did not want to hydro lock it. So a few questions-

I will not be able to pull the heads until next weekend, is one month too long with all the water sitting in the cylinder and bottom end?

It seems to be leaking coolant from the motor, is this a sign of a cracked blocked? Hopefully it is just the gasket or heads, I plan on getting a set of Clearwater heads considering it has 205,000miles.

Thanks for the help.

trbankii
01-26-2013, 14:29
Hard to say until you take a look. Could just be leaking out the blown gasket - or could have trashed more than that.

greatwhite
01-27-2013, 06:58
you need to do more trouble shooting before any solid advice can be given here.

I's start with either a cylinder leak down test or a cooling system pressure test.

either can be used to help identify a blown head gasket or a cracked head/block.

White smoke can also be fuel issues in a diesel.

A proper antifreeze mixture should have limited effect on a cylinder bore if it is in there. If you want to quick troubleshoot if there's some in there, pull the glow plugs and crank it over. You'll know right way if there's any in there as it will swoosh out the glow plug hole.....

southernk30
02-05-2013, 07:43
Ok so Ive decided to just swap over a 85 J Code 6.2 with a turbo into it. I will just swap everything over to the 6.2. But will the 6.2 fit in the 95 burb? Ive read I will have oil pan clearance issues?