PDA

View Full Version : Pump rub

Zacc
02-09-2013, 15:14
How many miles and what condition was the housing when you discovered and/or fixed yours?
I have under 27K on my 07 LBZ and want to mitigate any costly repairs down the road.

So far I have discovered three factory defects on this truck which GM knew about but chose to ignore:
Intermediate Steering Shaft (fixed)
Transmission Cooler Lines (fixed)
and now the Transfer Case Pump (pending)

Are there more issues that I am not aware of?

Kennedy
02-11-2013, 10:19
How many miles and what condition was the housing when you discovered and/or fixed yours?
I have under 27K on my 07 LBZ and want to mitigate any costly repairs down the road.

So far I have discovered three factory defects on this truck which GM knew about but chose to ignore:

The intermediate shaft is a nuisance and I believe that the new shaft has cured it.

The trans cooler lines have not been fixed (yet) and the new lines from GM still leak. I have a fix in the works for these.

The transfer case wear thing can vary, but most are well in excess of 100k before they leak. Not sur eif it's fluid related or what, but none of mine showed visible wear but I "plated" them anyhow. Both the 02 and the 05 ran Transynd fluid for most of their lives. The 07 still needs a plate and has the OE fluid in it. I'll probably plate it this summer.

More Power
02-11-2013, 11:33
I've not been able to discern a pattern for transfer case pump rub wear-through. My 2001 didn't show any wear when I installed the Kennedy plate as a pre-emptive excercise.

It may be useage related. Or, it could be vibration related (i.e. front or rear driveshaft may be just a tiny bit out of balance). Or, it could be a variation in parts fit or assembly.

I recommend owners do this before their truck reaches 100k. The job isn't all that onerous (I've done two of them so far) or all that expensive. See: http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/tcase.htm for details.

Jim

Zacc
02-11-2013, 21:03
Thanks for the link, great pictures and write up. How much for the wear plate? Do any seals need to be replaced from taking the case apart? GM must have saved a good five bucks on the crappy clip they used instead of coming up with a simple plate that locks into all of the tabs. It only cost them my next purchase (probably $50K+) so congratulations GM! I installed the Dorman steering shaft. They claim to have fixed the clunk with the D shaped shaft and set screw. I also installed a new upper bearing, also Dorman which I realize is made in China - Can't be any worse than the GM crap they used. I fixed the transmission hoses (that GM didn't have the balls to fix correctly even under the drive train warranty) with the Alligator kit. Well, on to the next problem, I have a cyclical vibration and drone that varies with the speed of the truck. I just noticed this two days ago so here we go again.....Brakes? U Joints? Bearings? Hubs? Early demise of transfer case?

AKMark
02-12-2013, 11:09
Dude you have nothing to complain about. Your issues are minor compared to some of the drivetrain problems the Powerstroke guys have to deal with, or drivetrain/interior bugs the Cummins guys complain about.

I used to work for Ford. Some of the crap they pull is really scary. Your woes are nothing, seriously.

Zacc
02-12-2013, 20:28
Dude you have nothing to complain about. Your issues are minor compared to some of the drivetrain problems the Powerstroke guys have to deal with, or drivetrain/interior bugs the Cummins guys complain about.

I used to work for Ford. Some of the crap they pull is really scary. Your woes are nothing, seriously.

I checked a few of the Ford and Dodge sites today and you are absolutely correct! Failing turbos, bad injectors, emission sensors, transmission problems, broken glow plugs, and even blown engines on trucks with fewer miles than mine. Manufacturers are making any excuse they can to get out of warranty work. EPA seems to have everybody in a tail spin. This truck is paid off so I think it will stay for the foreseeable future.
BTW, my '01 PSD was flawless for 110K miles but I really disliked the 4spd auto for towing. Even with 950lbs RW torque it couldn't match the Duramax for towing around town.

GM Customer Service
02-13-2013, 07:20

We address each and every vehicle concern on a case by case basis. Please let us know if you have any other concerns. We are here for you if you have any questions.

Brandon
GM Customer Service