PDA

View Full Version : Turn signal misbehaving

MikeChase
10-01-2005, 12:45
The right front turn signal on our 96 Suburban will occasionally act up. The problem shows as the dash indicator for that side is lit, not flashing when the turn signal is not called for - the signal arm is centered. The turn signal exterior light is also on at this point, front only. This is with the headlight switch off.

If the headlights are turned on and right turn signal is activated, there is a buzz from the flasher unit, and the instrument panel lights go out!

I have checked & cleaned grounds front & rear and instrument panel, checked & replaced bulbs to ensure both sides are the same, replaced the flasher unit, all to no avail. The problem comes & goes.

I have seen other GMC/Chevy trucks with one turn signal light on, without other lights so this must be a fairly common occurence - three such observed today.

Any ideas to cure this?

Barry Nave
10-02-2005, 01:01
May have to pull stearing wheel and replace turn signal switch.
My 91 GM van,when right turn signal is called for the wipers would stroke one wipe,at times. Not always :D Would drive my wife nuts :rolleyes: :D
Had to pull stearing wheel to replace key switch(van would not turn off and gear slect stuck)sence doing that the turn switch does not work the wipers. I just cleaned thing up under the stearing wheel.

DChristie
10-02-2005, 03:43
I don't know about Idaho, but in Texas turn signal use is optional. :D :D

DChristie

MikeChase
10-07-2005, 10:12
Hmmm, I was hoping to hear that it is a common problem that GM wanted to fix for free, and give
me $100 for inconvenience!

Maybe I can live with it...

CareyWeber
10-07-2005, 14:42
Originally posted by MikeChase:
The right front turn signal on our 96 Suburban will occasionally act up. The problem shows as the dash indicator for that side is lit, not flashing when the turn signal is not called for - the signal arm is centered. The turn signal exterior light is also on at this point, front only. This is with the headlight switch off.

If the headlights are turned on and right turn signal is activated, there is a buzz from the flasher unit, and the instrument panel lights go out!

I have checked & cleaned grounds front & rear and instrument panel, checked & replaced bulbs to ensure both sides are the same, replaced the flasher unit, all to no avail. The problem comes & goes.

I have seen other GMC/Chevy trucks with one turn signal light on, without other lights so this must be a fairly common occurence - three such observed today.

Any ideas to cure this? Mike,

Just pray that its not the turn signal switch on the steering column I priced them today $320 - $370. :mad:

I went to http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/category.cfm and they had them for $223 with shipping ($40 for shipping/handling). I'm having wiper issues, and I've already fix the wiper board.

The price diffence is unreal I think that dealer should be tarred and feathered for charging that much over the $183 unit price. :eek: :mad: :mad:

ps part # 26100985

Carey

a5150nut
10-07-2005, 17:37
I don't know about Idaho, but in Texas turn signal use is optional. If I remeber correctly, so are 4 way stops too...........

Barry Nave
10-08-2005, 00:02
Carey
If you have or rent the stearing wheel compresser/puller then I would do this myself and fine one from a salvige yard. Most cases they just need clean up.
One case I know of was with our GM van. Had to R&R the key switch. The turn signel would cause the wipers to come on,just one swipe.
Any way after being in that deep I cleaned the switch,collum and connenctors.
All works fine now.

MikeChase
10-08-2005, 09:42
After viewing the wiring diagrams I'm not sure
the turn signal switch is at fault, since only the right front acts up & not right rear. And not all the time, it usually works as it should. Then
again this from the same factory manual that claims the HVAC doors are cable operated, instead of vacuum as on the actual vehicle.

If only there were an easier way to take the uncertainty out of my guesswork...