PDA

View Full Version : Shop rate for injectors

Artworks
02-16-2013, 07:40
Yesterday got estimate for changing injectors on my 6.5. Rebuilt injectors & labor from local shop ( 20 min. away) around $1000. ( This is Canada) What have fellow fourm users payed ? This shop has experience with 6.5 & is fairly trustworthy. There is about 144000 kl (90,000 miles) on my engine & injectors. Only thing that I have noticed , for the past yr. or so is that when cold at low rpm, it "puffs" smoke ( blue / grey) and is like a miss / stumble. So I figure there is on injector not up to snuff.

Robyn
02-16-2013, 07:54
$1000 is a chunk of change for sure.

Buying a good set of rebuilt injectors from one of the vendors that advertize here at TDP would be a great choice.

A saturday afternoon in the garage should suffice to swap out the Squirts.

Get a return line hose kit to go with the new squirts and you will be all set.

The driver side is easy, the turbo side is gonna take a tad longer due to having to get the turbo out of the way and the heat shield.

The savings will be substancial if you do the work.

I would go to thec parts store and get a socket to fit the injectors.

Missy

Hooptybass
02-16-2013, 09:48
My local shop is trustworthy and stand behind there work . I just had a set of marine squirts done for 45 each i believe ... and the normal 6.5 injectors where like 25 each if memory serves . Sounds like there trying to screw your eyeballs out . There not bad to change either just the turbo side is kinda pain, not hard just time consuming

Artworks
02-16-2013, 16:54
Well Kennedy Diesel injectors are $420 + install kit of $30 + freight + taxes be around $540 or so, Injector socket $20. $560 now. 5 hrs. install ( if I don't have problems) x $35 = $175 ( I am carpenter so I can bill out $35 for my time on job that I could be doing) total if I do it myself $735 or so . So maybe $1000 or so may be not bad as shop rates up here are about $70 - $100hr & I know they paying $60 + ea for re man injectors ( new are over $100) I weighing is the extra cost worth hazzle ?

rapidoxidationman
02-16-2013, 17:47
You'd be buying the peace of mind to have somebody else do the work - if they'll stand behind it should something go wrong under warrantee. Might be worth it if you're not comfy doing the job yourself, but obviously you'd save a few hundred if you've got the time, space, and skills to do it.

I'd do it myself just so I have the confidence that it's done right and something else wasn't messed up in the process. Spend the money saved on a new set of glow plugs or something :cool:

Edit: Given the symptoms you describe, I'd just drive the darn thing.

Artworks
02-16-2013, 22:29
Got drive it for a bit anyway, got my own bathroom to redo, unexpected, put starter on my '95 Ford. Have a client's bathroom to start asap, ordered a entry door last week to install for another (commercial )client. Plus a number of couple 2- 3 day jobs. Nice to be busy however !!