PDA

View Full Version : gear indicator

dr.olds
02-26-2013, 17:11
hey folks, my 02 4x4 silverabo lb7 allison trans, my rnd321 and milage reading is not iluminating any more, its all blacked out, not sure what controls this, any info would be great!!!!!!!:cool:

rapidoxidationman
02-26-2013, 18:47
the easy thing to check is the dimmer switch (a wheel to the right of the headlight control). Is it rolled all the way dark?

dr.olds
03-01-2013, 14:14
no its not dimmer switch..... has been going on and off periodicley this time it went all the way:cool:

DmaxMaverick
03-01-2013, 14:41
Can you check the mileage, key off/out (press/hold the trip reset stem)? If not, the IPC has probably gone south, or has lost a connection. They are very expensive to buy, and require about an hour of dealer shop rate to program. They are much less expensive to have repaired, and require no dealer time for programming. I've seen no quality difference between new and repaired, other than yours was new at one time, and is not working now. Most mail-in repair services are less than $100, and offer same day turn-around with overnight shipping. Removal and installation of the IPC is very simple, and requires no special tools or skill. You can access the cluster and reset the connectors. If this doesn't help, the IPC needs replacement/repair.

jblather
03-03-2013, 23:21
I fixed my own cluster. It's an involved process, but it's actually not that bad. However, you might opt to send your cluster in for repair. Typical turnaround time is 1 week. Yes, you can drive your truck without the cluster.

A gazillion of these clusters have malfunctioned. Welcome to the club.

03lemon
04-16-2013, 14:48
I can't believe that the only solution for a cluster that the shift indicator light is dim or dark is to replace the whole cluster. It can't be that hard to repair this at home if someone knows where to do the repair

jblather
04-16-2013, 14:57
Do a search over at DieselPlace.com. This has been discussed ad naseum...

If you're good with an electronics soldering iron, you can certainly do the repair yourself. If you haven't done that before, then it's best you send off your cluster for repair.

03lemon
04-16-2013, 19:49
Did the search at dieselplace.com as you suggested. Found a lot of info on repairing gauges and replacing light bulbs, and a lot of questions on repairing dim shift indicator, but no solution as to how to do it. Thanks for the suggestion though

jblather
04-16-2013, 20:36
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/44-articles-useful-information/19-do-yourself-useful-articles-product-reviews/426953-prnd321-display-repair-2004-5-lly.html