PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a picture of the Cat?

Dauber
02-27-2013, 19:56
I purchased a 99' Suburban from another state, it arrived and did not pass inspection as the previous owner replaced the exhaust system sans the catalytic converter. I need to put one in place for a visual inspection as it has the "federal catalyst" sticker under the hood. The smog shop told me only GM sells them legal to get in CA and they are $890.

I called the previous owner and he still had the factory set up, I paid the shipping and he sent it UPS. It never arrived as they send it back to him because he wrote catalytic converter on the label and you cannot ship those to CA. I told him to re-ship it fed-ex and put "car parts" on the tag and I would pay it again. Well that was a week ago and now he stopped communicating with me, I guess he is tired of dealing with it even though I was willing to pay him. SO, I need a cat and I was wondering if anyone has a picture of one so I could see what the thing looks like so I can try and figure this out will out paying the dealer.

JorgeNY6.5
02-28-2013, 11:48
The 6.5 never came with a cat converter, came with more or less a soot trap. Check the duramax forums for a stock converter like unit, it may help you pass the bogus emissions laws in CA or you can just move to New York where they have zero diesel emissions test and just pay $10 a year for your inspection.

AKMark
02-28-2013, 18:20
I have one. Local recycler offered my $100 for it if I cut it off the pipe with the muffler it's attached to.

I'll sell it to you for the same price, and you pay for shipping.

907-978-9011 if you are interested.

More Power
03-09-2013, 14:47
The two 1994 6.5TDs I've owned both came with a factory-installed catalytic converter (actually, they are more correctly called a Diesel Oxidation Converter). One of these 6.5s was a heavy-duty K3500 and the other was a light-duty K1500 Blazer.

People tend to remove them over time because they can become clogged with soot. A light-duty rig driven in cool/cold temperatures tend to plug the cat sooner. It takes exhaust heat to keep the cat clean. A used cat could be clogged.

There are EPA/CARB certified aftermarket alternatives available. Not cheap, but... visit www.usdieselparts.com (http://www.usdieselparts.com) to see what they have.

Jim

Robyn
03-10-2013, 07:44
If all you need is to pass a visual, the go to a web page http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oGdSA5mjxRcGQA3ddXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE1M3JpcXR vBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA3NrMQR2dGlkA1JDRjA0MF8yM DU-/SIG=11fjfm36o/EXP=1362954937/**http%3a//www.frozenboost.com/

Scroll down the list on the left to exhaust parts.

They offer a nice Cat Looking device that might solve the visual issue

I have seen folks here use them to get gassers through the smog check

The best part is, these things are cheap and don't hurt anything as far as flow goes.

Be cool, install two of them end to end and the inspectors will be impressed ????????? :D

The factory Soot traps plug up and to buy a new one, as you have already found, is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :eek:

Missy