PDA

View Full Version : Dripping UNI Filter

silverback
07-24-2004, 09:21
As the subject of air filters has been hot over the last week, I went out and took a look at the UNI filter this morning. For the 2nd time (in ~6500 mi.) I found a puddle of filter oil in the low end of the air box. Is this normal, or was mine excessively oiled from the factory? I almost put my pristine original AC Delco back in after I cleaned up the air box mess (not my favorite Saturday morning thing to do). On a related note, I almost cleaned the UNI, but I could still see pink. Here's my 2nd question, the oiling instructions say to spray the thing inside and out. Does that mean the top (wire screen side) too? I don't think so, but I'm open minded.
Thanks,
Ken

More Power
07-24-2004, 10:57
Yes, spray both sides of the filter. I then place the filter element face down on several layers of paper towel, then press on the element with both hands to blot out the excess oil. The idea is that you want oil on every fiber of the foam element. Pressing down on the newly oiled element helps distribute the oil more evenly, while removing the excess. In the end, gravity could still pull some oil out of the element over time, but far less than over oiling it, and not blotting the excess.

MP

silverback
07-25-2004, 19:05
Thanks MP.
Ken