PDA

View Full Version : Cooling stack

JeepSJ
03-01-2013, 21:57
I know the typical layout is -

oil/trans coolers, AC condenser, intercooler and radiator.

What would be lost if I swapped the positions of the intercooler and the AC condenser?

I'm trying to figure out how to get an intercooler stuffed into my cooling stack but the only way I could get one in would be in front of the AC condenser. If I went with a water/air system I could use something smaller and put it behind the condenser.

Just looking for ideas and opinions.

Thanks!

Robyn
03-02-2013, 09:02
Go with a water/air unit and keep the stack less restrictive.

You can use a much smaller water/air heat exchanger out front with this arrangement.

There are several spots that you can tuck a little heat exchanger into, plus you dont have to try and snake the huge air pipes out through the core support.

Some fairly small hoses to feed the cooling solution (Glycol/water) can be easily fit through the area.

Remember, the more crap you stack in front of the airflow, the more restrictive it is.

These rigs have radiators that are on the small side (thermal efficiency) anyway, so slowing the airflow just really hampers things.

Never run the engine oil or tranny fluid through a cooler in the radiator tank, as this just adds insult to injury.

Using an oil/air cooler like the 1 ton rigs have is the best plan.

With a simple stack of the AC, RADIATOR you still have plenty of room for a tranny cooler, engine oil cooler and your air/water coolers without plugging the airflow up badly.

Good luck

Mssy