PDA

View Full Version : Heat Sink Size Requirement?

Hubert
05-05-2005, 14:03
Hello,

I am doing my homework to add a remote mounted FSD. I know I can get Heath's unit and many others but want to save a buy here this truck is dollaring me to death.

I have a heat sink from a stereo amplifier. I conservatively estimate fin's surface area to be 125 sq. inches. Its made of black anodized aluminum. I am going to mount fins vertical on drivers side fender between the antilock brake system and the fender. It will have a few inches for air to circulate around it but no forced air. (I am going to cut away engine compartment insulation and there are a few holes in inner fender like the airbox side though to help it some.

I know its not the best solution inside the engine compartment, bigger is better, and location etc but is there a minimum surface area requirement for the heat sink? Its gotta be as good as on top of the intake systems I have seen and a comparable size.

More Power
05-05-2005, 19:52
An absolutely flat mounting surface area for the FSD is critical for effective heat transfer. You can get this from either a flat piece of sheet stock (like Heath's) or machine a flat area on an extruded heat sink of your choice.

MP

Dvldog 8793
05-06-2005, 02:47
More is better. Use the largest piece you can and then MAKE SURE IT IS FLAT. also make sure you torque the mounting bolts. Make sure you use a good heat transfer paste. The stuff I got from Radio shack seems to dry out so I used some that I had left over from when I worked at Motorola. Good Luck!
L8r
Conley