PDA

View Full Version : Weight Ratings

mwool
03-07-2013, 09:49
I have a question on weight ratings on my 2011 3500 dually GMC. The tag on the door list
GAWR Front 5600
GAWR Rear 9375
This would seem to be a GVWR or 14,975

It was pointed out to me that GMC also had a GVWR rating somewhere. In researching, I could not find any info on line at the GMC site. In a book that came with the truck there is a reference to GVWR rating of 13,000 but seemed to be more generic and I could not tell if it was for the truck delivered to me. Is it correct that the tag on the door is what is official for total weights?

DmaxMaverick
03-07-2013, 10:43
I don't have the doc's in front of me, but 13K sounds about right for the 3500. The GVWR is never a total of the combined axle ratings. The correct axle ratings are on the door sticker, and you can look up the GVWR using the RPO codes in the glove box sticker. The GVWR will be the same for all the trucks in a series, or according to the vehicle registration in your state. Your registration should indicate a specific gross weight, or a weight range, if registered as a commercial vehicle, truck, tractor, or load bearing vehicle (essentially anything other than a passenger car, housecar, mobile home, motorcycle or trailer). The descriptions can vary by state.

However, the cargo and trailer load rating will vary, according to OEM equipment, and is affected by your current outfitting and loading. The manufacturer's published "estimated" load rating is calculated with a base model series truck (minimal options), with minimal fuel, no cargo, one "average" size driver, no passengers, no trailer hitch(es), no aftermarket or dealer installed equipment, and as clean as it was delivered (no dust, dirt, mud, bugs, etc.). The advertised cargo and load capacities are always published under ideal conditions, which is almost never experienced by the owner.

More Power
04-18-2013, 10:58
I have a question on weight ratings on my 2011 3500 dually GMC. The tag on the door list
GAWR Front 5600
GAWR Rear 9375
This would seem to be a GVWR or 14,975

It was pointed out to me that GMC also had a GVWR rating somewhere. In researching, I could not find any info on line at the GMC site. In a book that came with the truck there is a reference to GVWR rating of 13,000 but seemed to be more generic and I could not tell if it was for the truck delivered to me. Is it correct that the tag on the door is what is official for total weights?

They build in a little overhead into the axle ratings when compared to the truck's GVWR. Some owners could load the front a little heavy or the rear a little heavy - up to the axle rating, but the overall GVW should remain within the truck's original overall GVW and front/rear axle ratings.

GVW and GCVW are based on several criteria, like drivetrain performance, braking ability, chassis strength and cooling system performance. Tires have to be up to the task as well, and any replacements should be equal to what the truck left the factory with. Jim