PDA

View Full Version : difficulty disconnecting ECM

gary_lucas
03-07-2013, 21:37
I have a call into the vendor, but hoping someone has some experience they can share until they get back to me.

Ordered a tuned ECM.

Tried to install via:
1) DC' battery
2) Pop top of ECM case off.
3) Push tab behind grey lever on Blue J1 connector.
4) Rotate Grey lever all the way around until it stops moving.
5) Notice that the plug disengages 1-2mm as I rotate lever.
6) Try to rock the plug OUT of the ECM.
7) Try harder... Eventually I'm reefing on it back and forth, and although it has a little give it's definitely not coming out.
8) Go re-read the instructions.
9) Try again... No dice.
10) Replace cover,
11) Reconnect battery.
12) Make sure the truck starts.

ANyone had difficulty before? How much force should I be using? I noticed that the grey lever doesn't slide open 100% without popping back a tiny amount.

Suggestions?

More Power
03-08-2013, 11:25
The ECM connectors on the 2001/02 are held in-place by a bolt in the center of each connector (center of wire side). Loosening the bolt backs the connector out of the ECM.

http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/JKECM09c.jpg

Jim

gary_lucas
03-10-2013, 13:10
Ours is a 2004.5 LLY.

We went out to a campsite this weekend and took another try, we did manage to get the top connector off after quite allot of effort... The 2nd connector wouldn't come loose with the tools we had at hand.

I'm going to get a screwdriver / prybar tool which I didn't have with me the first time. If I can't get the 2nd and 3rd off with that I'll probably bring it to my mechanic and get him to do it.

I'm mildly concerned that if I use too much pressure I'll break something.

rapidoxidationman
03-10-2013, 16:23
Where is the connector you're trying to take off? Is it the EDU on the passenger side head? One of the boxes mounted on the driver's side of the radiator under a cover? Maybe post up a couple of pics and I can compare to my '05 and help you out...

gary_lucas
03-10-2013, 18:33
Here's the instructions I was following:

http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/jkecm2.htm

There's a number of tutorials online, mostly I think my truck is a little dusty and dirty and I'm assuming the connectors are just seized. I think if I had a screwdriver - prybar on the connectors I could get them loose enough to pop them off.

Didn't have that this weekend and can't find mine... Will buy a new set tomorrow and give it another go. Once I got the top connector off it seemed to just pop off and on without troubles... I'm assuming the others are going to be difficult to remove but will be easily switchable after I've pulled it the first time.

rapidoxidationman
03-10-2013, 19:36
Maybe spray a bit of silicone lubricant on the connector before trying to separate the connector, then spray it again prior to assembly so it comes apart easier next time. I've found that the rubber boots that keep the water out really like this lube.

gary_lucas
03-10-2013, 19:53
Maybe spray a bit of silicone lubricant on the connector before trying to separate the connector, then spray it again prior to assembly so it comes apart easier next time. I've found that the rubber boots that keep the water out really like this lube.

That sounds like a good idea, I did spray a tiny bit of wd-40 on the side of the connector before the top one finally popped off.

I'll get some silicone lubricant for the rest. Part of the problem is it's hard to get spray INTO the affected area. I've got the wires from the TCM in the way and the rad hose is in the way. Kinda amazes me how little room to work there is in such a huge engine compartment.

Thanks again, Gary

Kennedy
03-12-2013, 09:53
They can be a bit tricky the first time as it seems the seals tend to stick. Just be sure that the lever is open completely and pry gently in a rocking manner as best you can. Often times when I get cores from salvage the connector bases are broken so be careful.

A shot of spray dielectric grease or silicone spray helps to lube for future R&R.