PDA

View Full Version : Pushrods..again..or still...or...

JeepSJ
03-12-2013, 16:56
We have discussed the whole "colored tip goes up" topic many times. I did not know this when I put my engine together and they went in mixed. There were a few in my engine that ran for 60K+ miles in the "wrong" way (with zero visible wear). During my updating process, I decided to pull them and correct them. I found 4 that did not have a colored end. Being suspicious that the rebuilder maybe put in the wrong pushrods, I ordered 4 replacements from an advertiser here. Those arrived today and those do not have a colored end either. So how do I know which way they go? Would I just assume that both ends of these ones are hardened? Neither end? Now I'm just more confused.

sctrailrider
03-13-2013, 11:44
I would ask whoever you bought them from maybe?? Let us know ..

BorJansson
03-13-2013, 12:23
I took my engine apart a while ago and was very careful when taking the pushrods out.
I could not see any different colours of the ends.
I did note that there was a small dot in one end of the rods, abt 1/2" from end.
But there was no logic in the dots, some where up and some down.
The rods are carefully stored and they will go back in the same way as they came out.

1994 k-1500 Silverado
1989 Buick LeSabre Estate Wagom w. 6,5l diesel + thm 700r4

More Power
03-13-2013, 15:05
Here is a photo showing how to identify the "colored" or "UP" end of two different pushrods - one that originally had a painted end, and another that never had any paint.

The top/left pushrod end did not have a paint stripe identifying the UP end, but the ball was a gun-metal gray color except for the very end that had seen wear. This is the UP end. The lifter end, just to the right of the gray ball is the opposite end of the same pushrod, and the ball has a uniformly silver/chrome look to it.

The bottom/left pushrod UP end shows evidence for where the paint stripe had been, but has worn off over time. The ball is a copper color except for where the color had worn away on the rocker arm. The lifter end of the same pushrod is to the right. Again, the ball is totally silver - looking similar to chrome.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/data/500/medium/pushrods-sm.jpg

Jim

JeepSJ
03-15-2013, 14:29
I will post some pictures. I do have some with the gray end so those are easy. But I do have some that have no coloring on either end.

Robyn
03-16-2013, 07:27
This little anomaly has irritated me ever since getting to know the 6.2/6.5 engines.

I have been into numerous other GM V8's over the past 40+ years and the direction the pushrods went in made little difference.

Seems that some performance BBC parts were directional ???????

This entire scenario just drips with corporate bean counter meddling in places they ought not.

Granted, the factory system of marking the heat treated end of the pushrods works ok, but sadly, it in many cases wears off or becomes impossible to see.

I recommend that any time a 6.5 is pulled down, that the pushrods be carefully set aside in a way that they can be marked.

Many times, I have used cheapy tie wraps on the end near the rockers before I yanked them out, then later on, washed the rods and mark them with a felt pen or paint pen, just to make sure.

I had one engine that the PR'S were not marked in any way, so I pitched them and got a fresh set of aftermarket ones that were marked.

Just too much of a PITA to get into one of these engines once its in the chassis, and failure can ruin the rockers as well. :(

Bottom line, if you can't identify them well, dont guess, the results can be costly in time and materials.

Jims picture of the rods are great info.

I have seen many with the copper color, that were so faint that in normal shop light the color was not visible at all. Only out in bright daylight could the difference in the ends be seen

Seems that a little physical mark would have been better, at least it would not go away.

Don't be tempted to FILE a mark, as this can lead to a failure.

Good luck

Missy