PDA

View Full Version : Turbo/Supercharger Boost sensor "A" (MAP?) circuit range/performance?

DA BIG ONE
10-02-2005, 11:52
Read most of what is herein forum about PO236, but I'm running a manual boost controller for some time now w/o this PO236.

Exactly; what is turbo/supercharger boost sensor "A" circuit range/performance?

I'm thinking it's the MAP sensor (sensor "A") throwing code P236 when boost goes past map range/performance limits. So, I need another MAP sensor calibrated for higher boost levels, where can one be had, or?

[ 10-02-2005, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: DA BIG ONE ]

rjwest
10-02-2005, 13:46
I think your boost fooler suppress the code,

I think what you are doing is making the PCM
read a lower boost than what is actualy present, That ia what makes higher boost ( boost fooler "

Since the PCM is contoling to what it thinks is a normal pressure, no code set.

DA BIG ONE
10-02-2005, 16:18
Originally posted by rjwest:
I think your boost fooler suppress the code,

I think what you are doing is making the PCM
read a lower boost than what is actualy present, That ia what makes higher boost ( boost fooler "

Since the PCM is contoling to what it thinks is a normal pressure, no code set. I'm running a MaxiTorq Heath PCM which allows higher boost levels w/o boost fooler and this PO236 just cropped up.

After spending time herein forum search feature reading about PO236 and not getting anywhere I decided to do the web. It came back as a MAP sensor code range/performance limit issue as follows;

PO235 is range/performance limits of MAP too low,
PO236 is sensor "A" (MAP) not within limits,
PO237 is range/performance limits of MAP too high.

So, I'm assuming PO236 is a bad MAP sensor, but really some expert advise here.

Perhaps, just need boost fooler resister at MAP sensor, how do I do this?

[ 10-02-2005, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: DA BIG ONE ]

DennisG01
10-03-2005, 03:00
Someone else correct me if i'm wrong:

You're using the Heath ECM - are you also using the Turbo Master? If so, did you use the little "plastic ball" to plug the vacuum line? If so, then the wastegate solenoid is still there. I don't know if Heath's computer checks that solenoid, but with a stock computer, I got that code when the solenoid went bad. Very easy fix...

Barry Nave
10-03-2005, 03:26
DA BIG ONE
Mine is doing the same,though on my 95 it's code 78. I am using the Turbo master along with JK boost fooler. I could not get my Elect.Boost to work. The only thing I have not changed is the intake manfold MAP. Wounder If I did change this MAP if the Vac. boost would work?
Thinking of removing the boost fooler and see if 78 stills come on.
There is a 10k 50ohm restior that ties in where the waste gate siliond rest.
Have not done that yet but your still using the vac. system

DA BIG ONE
10-03-2005, 06:44
Originally posted by Dennis Galligani:
Someone else correct me if i'm wrong:

You're using the Heath ECM - are you also using the Turbo Master? If so, did you use the little "plastic ball" to plug the vacuum line? If so, then the wastegate solenoid is still there. I don't know if Heath's computer checks that solenoid, but with a stock computer, I got that code when the solenoid went bad. Very easy fix... Yep, used the little ball but I get the po code for boost control circuit always. Seems to be a harness issue and will eventually install resistor at PCM.

My problem is that I have to run higher boost pressure 16+ lbs or risk damage from egt's going past 1200 degs pre turbo. I have highpop injectors but this should not be creating the problem I have. Heaths instructions say boost limit should be 12+ lbs. I'm guessing that the boost pressure I run are past what the stock map sensor can deal with.

Another issue is that when I remove battery cables for a little while, then reconnect the engine runs it's best then shortly thereafter it just runs good.

DA BIG ONE
10-03-2005, 06:50
Originally posted by Bnave95:
DA BIG ONE
Mine is doing the same,though on my 95 it's code 78. I am using the Turbo master along with JK boost fooler. I could not get my Elect.Boost to work. The only thing I have not changed is the intake manfold MAP. Wounder If I did change this MAP if the Vac. boost would work?
Thinking of removing the boost fooler and see if 78 stills come on.
There is a 10k 50ohm restior that ties in where the waste gate siliond rest.
Have not done that yet but your still using the vac. system The map sensor is the boost sensor "A" on our rigs, if it is calibrated to say 1 BAR (14+lbs) then I would need one calibrated to 1.5 BAR or even 2 BAR, but there is no information this that I could find herein this forum.

Stay under 1 BAR boost it's a non issue!

On my turbo gas motor its required that MAP sensor be replaced for higher boost levels.

DennisG01
10-03-2005, 08:51
Maybe this will help (or maybe it will just confuse things more ;) ):

When I had a stock computer, I used JK's electronic boost fooler. During the "trial and error" phase, I dialed in to where I had max sustained boost of 18 lbs. It never set any type of code.

I only got the code you are getting when my wastegate solenoid went kaput.