PDA

View Full Version : Belt tensioner pulley?

arveetek
03-16-2013, 20:08
In performing some maintenance this weekend, I discovered that the bearing in the belt tensioner pulley is going out. I ordered a new pulley from the local auto supply, and they gave me a Gates 38001, but it was a different shape and wouldn't fit the tensioner assembly properly.

Looking at Rock Auto, it seems that Hayden part # 5992 is the only one that looks like mine, but I just wanted to see if anyone else has been down this road already, and can verify part numbers for me.

This is for my 95 Tahoe with one alternator.

Thanks,

Casey

DennisG01
03-17-2013, 17:18
I can't help with the part number, but when I replaced mine a few years ago I just walked into a local NAPA and bought it.

arveetek
03-17-2013, 19:58
Looks like there are three different tensioner pulley designs available: one plastic and two steel. I doubt the plastic was ever actually used from the factory though.

I decided to order a complete tensioner assembly. I found a new one on Amazon for only $32 shipped. That's just a few bucks more than a pulley by itself, and I won't have to worry if it fits or not!

Casey

Yukon6.2
03-17-2013, 20:22
Hi Casey
After you replace it..
Pop the bearing out and get a new one at a bearing shop,reinstall and you'll have a spare.
Thomas

arveetek
03-18-2013, 05:43
Hi Casey
After you replace it..
Pop the bearing out and get a new one at a bearing shop,reinstall and you'll have a spare.
Thomas

I wondered about that.... I was afraid of damaging the pulley trying to get it out.

Casey

DennisG01
03-18-2013, 07:54
Looks like there are three different tensioner pulley designs available: one plastic and two steel. I doubt the plastic was ever actually used from the factory though.

I decided to order a complete tensioner assembly. I found a new one on Amazon for only $32 shipped. That's just a few bucks more than a pulley by itself, and I won't have to worry if it fits or not!

Casey

I can't remember fully, but I think I paid about $40-something for the assembly, so that sounds like a pretty good price for that. Is it a reputable brand?

trbankii
03-18-2013, 08:39
From a previous discussion (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=40864) on removing/installing the serpentine belt, there are obviously two versions of the tensioner. From the pictures, the pulleys look the same, but they could easily be different depending on the tensioner setup.

arveetek
03-18-2013, 12:55
I can't remember fully, but I think I paid about $40-something for the assembly, so that sounds like a pretty good price for that. Is it a reputable brand?

AC Delco!

Gotta love Amazon for finding name brand parts at discount prices.

Casey

Yukon6.2
03-18-2013, 19:19
Hi Casey
It should have a snap ring holding the bearing in.Very simular to a wheel on a snowmachine skidframe. I'v changed a few,mixed and matched to get people down the road when there wern't any new ones.
They push out pretty easy.
And if you wreck it your not out anything.
Thomas

arveetek
03-18-2013, 19:45
Hi Casey
It should have a snap ring holding the bearing in.Very simular to a wheel on a snowmachine skidframe. I'v changed a few,mixed and matched to get people down the road when there wern't any new ones.
They push out pretty easy.
And if you wreck it your not out anything.
Thomas

Snomachine skidframe? What kind of machinery are you talking about? :D

Don't have much call for such animals down here in my neck of the woods. ;)

Casey