PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Denali, AWD with 6.0L gasser

Mark Rinker
03-25-2013, 09:52
I realize this vehicle doesn't really fit here, but looking for input on where to start at 130K miles regarding bringing this '7 on a 10 scale' truck back to reliable and most economical (oxymoron) operation...

Today I am having all driveline fluids serviced. From the looks of the transmission fluid, its not a moment too soon.

Anything to know about regarding the AWD system? Any way to disconnect this thing, and gain some mileage from not turning all the front drive components?

Just ordered $500 worth of rear air shocks and pump...that system was DOA...

Appears the A/C is not engaging...

Replaced battery....voltage gauge is flaky but when it works it appears to be charging normally.

convert2diesel
03-25-2013, 15:31
Mark:

Currently using a friends 06 Silverado with the same powertrain and about the same mileage. Only things that have popped up is the throttle body and the factory trailer wiring.

The throttle body gets gummed up and needs to be cleaned occassionally. The drive by wire system compares two separate TPS outputs and if they don't match (like when the throttle plate sticks momentarily) then the thing immediately goes into limp home mode. When they say limp home they mean it. 30 MPH tops.

From what I can see, the AWD system still uses the old electric disconnect activator in the front pot to sever the axle connection. Don't know about yours.

Like any electronic gasser, keeping all the sensors clean, changing out the O2s regularly, plugs, wires, etc are all good things to do. The 6.0 is getting a really good rep as are all of the LS series engines. Looks like a home run for the General. Certainly thirsty by todays standards but not many obvious issues.

Would really like to see a mid sized diesel in these trucks but as far as gassers go, these seem to be pretty good. A Dmax in a Tahoe would be nice but would be somewhat like clubbing bunnies.

Bill

DmaxMaverick
03-25-2013, 17:15
What's wrong with clubbing bunnies? When I was much younger, before I was married with children, it was one of my most favorite things to do.

DmaxMaverick
03-25-2013, 17:17
........Or, did you mean hitting baby rabbits with a stick? I don't think I'd be in favor of that.

convert2diesel
03-26-2013, 14:10
That was "clubbing bunnies" not "clubbing with bunnies". Don't know where you hung out but we were not allowed in places like that :D. Told we would go blind.

Bill

DmaxMaverick
03-26-2013, 14:34
I quit as soon as I needed glasses.

AKMark
03-27-2013, 14:00
If it's an AWD system, and not the 4WD with the option of running 2wd, you cannot make it run in 2wd.

Not good for the transfer case. It's intended to run full time. If you put a different transfer case in it, you could disengage the front axle, but that would require more switches and/or possibly a whole wire harness. Usually not worth the time and effort. I do know that the AWD T-case used by GM is one of the best in the business. I've never heard of folks having much of an issue with them. Compared to the AWD Jeeps and other predominately rear wheel (not front wheel drive) vehicles that have the option of ditching the 4WD for AWD, these work well. You might gain 1 mpg by converting it to a 2wd/4wd vehicle, and that's a big might...

Mark Rinker
03-30-2013, 16:32
I had a chance to test it out in some deep snow, on a friends unplowed spare driveway. Surprised how well it did in deep, packed snow. It walked right through about 18" - 24" of slushy muck. I think a lot of it has to do with the extra ground clearance afforded by the 20" rims and tires.

My buddy was certain that I would never make it, and it wasn't a high speed, tire spinning attempt...it just walked down the lane line nobody's business!

AWD convert! LOL