PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Fuel Filter Issue

EdHale
03-27-2013, 03:59
I have had my truck since new and always change the fuel filter myself. My most recent change was number 12 if I can still figure right. This last one is the only problem I have ever had.

I only use Baldwin filters purchased from someone we see posts from frequently. This most recent filter had the large o-ring bent up like a pretzel. It would not straighten out. I even put in in a plastic bag to keep the water off of it and soaked it in "hot" water for a while. Using some grease I finally got it installed, but I wasn't comfortable that it was seated properly. After about 50 miles of driving over several days I noticed my DIC fuel economy was way low. Even around town and very short trips my DIC always shows 16 mpg. It was now down to 11'ish. I still had the filter that I had taken off so I took the o-ring off of it and removed the recently installed filter. As I took the filter off the o-ring was actually in the right place so I did get it installed right. As a side note, this o-ring curled up like a snake within in seconds of removing it. I replaced the crooked o-ring with the one that I had taken off of my old filter and reinstalled. After driving another 50 miles or so everything is back to normal. The DIC indicates just like it used to.

I inspected the removed o-ring and except for being bent so bad, it didn't have any flaws or cracks that I could see, but it definitely wasn't sealing correctly as far as I could tell.

Question: I know this filter operates in a vacuum so no leaks would be observed, but would an air leak cause the DIC to indicate incorrect or was my mileage really reduced that bad? I did note when the filter was removed it was not full of fuel like it normally is when I am changing it. I never experienced any loss of power with the suspect o-ring installed, but then I wasn't towing either.

EdHale
03-29-2013, 15:57
My mileage has returned to normal so I guess there was an air leak at the large o-ring even though it was properly seated. I was just surprised that the DIC mileage indication was off as a result of this.

DmaxMaverick
03-29-2013, 17:14
I don't have an explanation for you, knowing that anything can go wrong, for any reason, or none, at any time. The deformed O-ring was probably not O shaped at some location, but enough to not leak under pressure (during priming).

Have you penciled your mileage, or just the DIC? It would be interesting to know if it actually dinged your mileage. Air in the system will make it less efficient. I'd like to know how much, and compare to the DIC report. Air is a fluid, so if the PCM included some/all of the air in the calculation, it makes sense that it was not accurate, if it was.

EdHale
03-30-2013, 02:02
I was not able to pencil he mileage during the time I was driving with the suspect o-ring. I only drove it about 50 miles or so, but with the DIC mileage so far off from normal I knew something was wrong. I have penciled my mileage since the switch back to the previously used o-ring and it agrees with the DIC pretty close as normal and both numbers back in the "normal" range for my truck.

The DIC of 11 mpg vs 16'ish around town was just a red flag that something wasn't right after the filter change. The other interesting thing was the filter was not full to the top when I removed it like it normally is during a change.

I guess you are right about the old o-ring. It must have been just enough out of round that I couldn't see it.

Mark Rinker
03-31-2013, 06:57
Ahhh the good ole days from 2001-2005, when you could actually grasp the filter, standing next to the fender, and twist it off. With a little talent, you could position a new one and spin it back on, check the O-ring, and turn it hand tight. DONE in about 3-5 minutes.

By 2006, there were A/C lines in the way that need convincing in one direction or the other. I have a permanent white scar on my right forearm from getting up close and too personal with one of these lines, on a hot summer day.

At the Minneapolis car show this month, I looked under the hood at the upcoming 2014 K3500. The fuel filter access from the top is 100% obstructed by battery cabling. You can't even SEE the fuel filter from the top, unless you really know what you are looking for.

Ahhhh....PROGRESS!!! ;)

EdHale
03-31-2013, 08:06
The a/c lines are in the way on my 2006 Mark, but I always just remove the battery. It only takes a couple of minutes and the battery is out of the way and then there is plenty of room. I think this is much easier than going in through the wheel well. Besides, without a lift I can stand up to get it done.

Kennedy
04-01-2013, 09:05
I've seen what you describe and it can vary from filter to filter. It seems that Baldwin uses a thin zip lock type bag and what happens in packaging is they get distorted and then take on a memory. I've had sucess setting the filter upside down on top of the oring to get it back round agian.

I have a note in to Baldwin. I hear of this issue very infrequently, but I suspect many experience the same issues and just are not saying anything.

EdHale
04-02-2013, 13:46
You are correct about the zip lock bag John. I have been using nothing but Baldwin filters ever since I bought this truck new and while a few of them have been a little crooked, I could work with all of them but this last one. It absolutely would not straighten out. Even after being installed in the truck for a week and in the correct position. As I stated earlier I took the filter off because of DIC mileage concerns that the filter was out of position. It turned out to be in correct, but immediately on removing the filter the o-ring curled up like pretzel. That is when I put the old one on the new filter. All is back to normal now.

I still think this bad o-ring was leaking and caused my DIC mileage to be way off, but I am not that technical enough to know if this is true.

DickWells
04-03-2013, 08:43
Anyone had experience with one of those all-plastic replacement filters? I helped my Ontario neighbor in Brownsville replace his, back about 9 weeks ago. The old one was totally plastic, as well as the one he handed me. I think he had paid about $28 for it at a local (Brownsville) parts store. Dang thing is smaller at the bottom end and tapered out at the top to fit the mount. The internal seal is a flat rubber washer that's a (hopefully) tight fit around the center tube that we've all come to know and love for holding onto the original steel-bodied filter's seals. I had the real Dickens of a time getting that old filter off, and worried a lot about the seal that was going to be made (or not!), up in there where you can't see.

Ed's thread got me to thinking about this, because the guy called me from LA a few days back, saying that his towing mileage had dropped about 2+ mpg! Gave me a bad "Oh-Oh" feeling, until he called me back and told me that he had re-programed his add-on chip (Super Chip?). Said his mileage was back up to normal, but I'll always worry about that blasted filter install. BTW, his new O-ring was straight, and didn't give me any problem.

The only problem I had at the time was: The collapsible stool that the owner provided for me broke, letting me fall onto the fender top and cracking a couple of ribs! It's been only about 2 weeks since I could lie on my right side. No good deed shall go un-punished.:D

Just ordered up a new batch of Baldwin filters for fuel and oil, including replacements for my Fass system, and the OEM fuel filters are still steel, but are the only one's (out of four different filters that I use) that are marked "Made in China"! :(