PDA

View Full Version : Looking at Used Truck - Code 94

joed
02-06-2004, 17:07
I'm looking at a used 94 1/2 ton 6.5 turbo for sale, 151K miles. The trucks pretty clean, but has a knocking sound coming from the right side the engine. Also, maybe related, it puts out quite a bit of white smoke, especially when the engine is colder.

I checked codes, and the only one is 94 - cylinder 4 balance fault. This leads me to believe it's injector related? The owner says it doesn't seem to be using coolant or oil for that matter, and the oil looks normal, so I'm thinking it's probably not a head gasket.

The injectors seems to be original. The truck seems to start okay, but does idle rough.

Any other thoughts on this precarious noise? The noise does seem to match rpm, but seems to pulse as a rotational noise would. I'd only buy it if I could get it on the cheap side.

Thanks. Joe.

ucdavis
02-06-2004, 19:01
For a ticking sound: Check injectors, lifter (last thing to "check" but don't sweat it much), fuel line wagging & striking something w/ea. fuel pulse, exhaust leak, waste gate hinge wear (light tick @ idle). Most frequent is probably an injector line, but your mileage may vary.
If you replace an injector, blow air thru new injector returns before installing to check return continuity; sometimes poorly drilled or not at all & will cause blow-off/up of fragile return tubes.

joed
02-07-2004, 08:16
Well, it's neither here nor there now. The truck has been sold.

Thanks anyway. Joe.