PDA

View Full Version : Def

MIKE MOG
03-27-2013, 16:18
Hi All, Nice to be back, I haven't posted in quite some time. I have 2 Chevy G vans at work that are throwing heater 1 codes in the DEF tank. Just wondering if anybody else is seeing this. The only way to fix the problem is to replaced the DEF tank and it's 1000.00 and there on back order. I figured out that the GPCM is looking for amps so I put a marker lamp in place of the heater and cleared the code and drove it. all is good. I have access to GM service info and there are no PIs or bulletins or ECM updates. Does anybody know of a aftermarket heater kit for this issue?
Mike

More Power
03-28-2013, 09:48
GM altered the heater programming shortly after the first LMM arrived because of DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) freezing in very cold weather. The new programming probably allowed for more ON time for the heating element.

Do you know if the heating element is failing or if there's some other problem? From your description, it sounds as though the heating element is opening (burning out), like a light bulb element.

Glad to have you back!

Jim

MIKE MOG
03-29-2013, 03:17
Hi Jim,
Nice to be back, The heater element is open. The GPCM is looking for a resistance so I put a 2 194 bulbs in its place so the bus can still run. I called GM after the 3rd bus through the same code [P020b9] because the part is 1000.00,
You have to buy the whole DEF tank for 2010 to get the heater. GM is supposed to get back in touch with me today. I will post with their answer.
Mike

More Power
04-09-2013, 16:16
Hi Jim,
Nice to be back, The heater element is open. The GPCM is looking for a resistance so I put a 2 194 bulbs in its place so the bus can still run. I called GM after the 3rd bus through the same code [P020b9] because the part is 1000.00,
You have to buy the whole DEF tank for 2010 to get the heater. GM is supposed to get back in touch with me today. I will post with their answer.
Mike

Damn... $1K....

Have you investigated whether this might be covered by the separate emissions warranty? The DEF system is definitely part of the emissions system. Check your owner's manual. It should have a list of parts/systems that are covered. If not, begin a dialog with folks from GM Customer Assistance who are heping out here in the board.

Jim

bobt
04-09-2013, 22:36
Jim, I'm confused here. You talk about the first LMMs and DEF. I have a '09 LMM and I don't deal with DEF. What am I missing here?
Bob

DmaxMaverick
04-09-2013, 22:47
LML = DEF

It can get confusing. I had to think about it.

More Power
04-10-2013, 10:40
Since the new body style trucks arrived in mid model year 2007, all have used DEF. So, if you have a truck with an LMM or LML code engine, it uses Diesel Exhaust Fluid. The pesky nagging computer won't let you neglect adding more fluid when it needs it. ;)

By the way.... the EPA and some states have been amping up their enforcement of the emissions regulations. One leading aftermarket performance equipment manufacturer was recently fined 1/2M$ by the EPA for selling delete kits that allowed truck owners to remove the DEF and exhaust particulate filter systems from the new trucks. In addition to the fine, the manufacturer was forced to offer buy-backs to all who bought such a kit. Right now, the gov is going after the manufacturers, but it's only a matter of time before they begin hitting individual truck owners.

Jim

cabletech
04-10-2013, 12:53
Since the new body style trucks arrived in mid model year 2007, all have used DEF. So, if you have a truck with an LMM or LML code engine, it uses Diesel Exhaust Fluid. The pesky nagging computer won't let you neglect adding more fluid when it needs it. ;)

By the way.... the EPA and some states have been amping up their enforcement of the emissions regulations. One leading aftermarket performance equipment manufacturer was recently fined 1/2M$ by the EPA for selling delete kits that allowed truck owners to remove the DEF and exhaust particulate filter systems from the new trucks. In addition to the fine, the manufacturer was forced to offer buy-backs to all who bought such a kit. Right now, the gov is going after the manufacturers, but it's only a matter of time before they begin hitting individual truck owners.

Jim

LMM trucks never had DEF, they only had the DPF. DEF didn't come along until 2011 with the LML/LGH trucks/vans.

Jay

Kennedy
04-10-2013, 13:20
Hi All, Nice to be back, I haven't posted in quite some time. I have 2 Chevy G vans at work that are throwing heater 1 codes in the DEF tank. Just wondering if anybody else is seeing this. The only way to fix the problem is to replaced the DEF tank and it's 1000.00 and there on back order. I figured out that the GPCM is looking for amps so I put a marker lamp in place of the heater and cleared the code and drove it. all is good. I have access to GM service info and there are no PIs or bulletins or ECM updates. Does anybody know of a aftermarket heater kit for this issue?
Mike

Let's start with model year of the vans in question and what DTC number is being set.

DEF did not come around until 2011 LML trucks.

More Power
04-10-2013, 16:21
LMM trucks never had DEF, they only had the DPF. DEF didn't come along until 2011 with the LML/LGH trucks/vans.

Jay

Shoulda known that.... Thanks for the catch..

MIKE MOG
04-15-2013, 11:37
I believe the code is P20b9 but I will check in the morning due to not being at work today. GM did contact me last week and I was told that there still working on a fix for this problem. IM sorry I did not repost but I have been waiting to hear back from GM. From what I understand the heater for 2012 are serviceable but not for the 2011. Go figure, I did check on the warranty and it is 8-80 for California and every where else it's 5-50. I don't understand that, but I guess it is what it is. I have 70,000 on the busses now.
Mike Mog