PDA

View Full Version : Scat Crankshaft Failures

More Power
03-28-2013, 09:34
Has anyone heard anything about Scat steel crankshaft failures? I have... but I'd like to know what is being talked about. Thanks, Jim

john8662
03-28-2013, 11:31
dieseldummy had a failure of one.

They're nodular iron (the term 'steel crank' usually refers to a forged crank).

More Power
03-28-2013, 13:24
dieseldummy had a failure of one.

They're nodular iron (the term 'steel crank' usually refers to a forged crank).

Thanks John.

I thought Scat 6.5 cranks were cast steel...

Forged, on the other hand, involves working the steel with large hydraulic presses or hammers that help to align the individual grains of the steel to make the part stronger.

"Nodular iron" to me means cast iron, just like the OE crank.

I saw a pic of a Scat that was broken at the 7/8 rod journal.

Robyn
03-28-2013, 14:50
I have a new Scat crank in the GEP block thats going back in the Dahooooley. I am not wanting to hear about these breaking :(

The scat was supposed to be far stronger than the GM cast iron shafts.

The scat crank is done in 9000 series cast steel according to Scat.

I am curious as to what caused the shaft to break.

Now, there are some cranks being sold that folks are selling as scat, that are overseas stuff being pawned off as Scat cranks.

Curious indeed.

Missy

john8662
03-28-2013, 14:52
SCAT cast (9000 series) cranks are overseas stuff, lol.

joe bleaux
03-29-2013, 20:29
2scat

noun
Definition of SCAT

: an animal fecal dropping

Origin of SCAT

perhaps from Greek skat-, skōr excrement — more at scatology (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/scatology)First Known Use: 1927

Just sayin..... I know nothing of them.

Joe

SCAT cast (9000 series) cranks are overseas stuff, lol.

jggiedeman
03-30-2013, 11:26
I have one going into a rebuilt 6.5 I'm working on. Two machine shops I dealt with on my balancing groaned when I said I was planning on using a SCAT crank. They both stated that the early years of SCAT was reputable. Now it is a different story. Machine shop #1 said the worst crank he had to balance required 109 grams of material to be removed and some Mallory placed into other areas. I was luckier (sic) than most and only need to have 36 grams removed.

If I had to do this over again I would have just groaned and mettered but thoroughly enjoyed purchasing a 6.5 optimizer for 6.5K and felt relieved with US manufacturing.

Time will tell on the crank. I'm using a fluidamper on it also. 6.6 after this latest venture.

Robyn
03-31-2013, 06:06
After all the good press these cranks got, its sad that so much crap surfaces to spoil the party.

Bill Heath has been pimping the hell out of these cranks and if memory serves, uses one in his race truck too.

Hmmmmm, guess we will never really know the truth about them.

Robyn

More Power
04-01-2013, 10:58
Hmmmmm, guess we will never really know the truth about them.

Robyn

We may.... Be patient. Once all of the info is in hand, I'll post what's been brought to light. I just want to be right about it.

Jim

dieseldummy
04-05-2013, 20:55
I had one fail as I posted about here: http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=41421&highlight=scat

I'm leaning toward a balancing problem after hearing several accounts of fresh out of the box cranks needing rebalanced from scat. Are they worth the money? IMO no if you need to spend more $$ to balance them when OEM cranks are available for less and seem to be just as good. Be interested to see what info you're putting together on this topic.