PDA

View Full Version : hard to start

ttpost
04-02-2013, 10:19
Hi guys and gals. I just rebuilt my 6.5 its running great when it will start, i had this same issue b4 i rebuilt the motor , i assumed b4 it was just tired, but thats not the case now. Whenever i try to start the motor cold or not , it takes a few mins for it to start, it partially, it tries to start , but wont start completely. I have found that priming it with a little diesel does help quite a bit , but it still is hard to start. I have checked the glow plugs and they are all working . It acts like its not getting fuel, but im not positive. I set the injection pump in the exact spot it was b4 the rebuild . Im wondering could it be a timing issue , but not sure . Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

DennisG01
04-02-2013, 11:39
How did you check the glow plugs?

Fuel filter condition?

Is the Lift Pump working (making noise)?

Have you tried checking the fuel output at the drain? Connect a little hose to the T-handled drain and run it to a suitable container on the ground. With the engine running, it shouldn't stall out with the t-handle completely open. And, at idle you should get a nice, steady stream of fuel coming out.

Another easy check is to hook up a pressure gauge to the drain valve. Should have 6-8psi at idle and stay somewhere above 0 (ideally about 2) at full throttle (it may dip lower at first).

john8662
04-02-2013, 14:19
Any codes stored in the computer?

Certain bad sensors or pump will cause poor starting, check the codes!

ttpost
04-03-2013, 09:27
I manually tested each glow plug with a battery , all got hot . it does have a new fuel filter and i can hear the lift pump and have a steady stream. I will check the fuel pressure adn check codes , thanks for the suggestions ,i will update as soon as im done with the tests.

DennisG01
04-03-2013, 10:15
If they all got evenly hot (as compared to each other) then the plugs themselves sound good - although your problem does sound like a glow problem, at least to me. The tips and part way down the plug should be getting cherry red within just a few seconds.

The next step would be to verify that you're getting 12v to each one. Put the + lead of your DVM on the spade and the - lead on the body of the plug. Keep the plug on the spade while doing this. Doing it this way also verifies that the plug body/threads are making a good contact with the block to complete the circuit. Have someone turn the key to "on", not "start".

ttpost
04-05-2013, 11:58
Ive been busy , but i did get the codes pulled, i have 13,14 , adn 18 , still trying to look them up to figure out what they mean, will be doing fuel pressure test tonight , thanks

sctrailrider
04-06-2013, 03:13
DTC 13 - Engine Shutoff Solenoid Circuit Fault
DTC 14 - Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Circuit Low (High Temp)
DTC 18 - Pump Cam Reference Pulse Error

john8662
04-06-2013, 21:51
The engine needs the coolant temperature sensor working (on the thermostat crossover housing) to start properly. The computer needs to know exactly what the temp of the engine is for setting the timing and adjusting glow timing. If it's showing high then you're getting short glow times and no timing advance starting. Hard starts.

The pump cam reference is alarming as well and will contribute to delayed starts as the computer has to use the backup crankshaft sensor to make it run. Delayed starts will occur. Check the connections on the injection pump to the cam sensor (plug on top of injection pump), might also try removing a filter harness if it has one.

J

ttpost
04-07-2013, 14:22
current update, i have repaired the temp sensor, i signed up for all data, i was going through the flow chart , and i have a ?. it says to probe terminal d with a test light connected to b, and asks if test light is on. The test light doesnt come on, but i do have 5 volts there, so not sure if it it is supposed to have 12 volts at the terminal or if 5 is ok, it doesnt really say, just says move to the next step if the test light operates. No where i can find does it say the voltage required , although on previous steps it does ask if it there is 5 volts. Im kinda thinking it should have 12 volts at the terminal. does anyone know , or have a better flow chart to look at . thanks in advance rob

phantom309
04-07-2013, 16:04
After reading your original post,. i think you definitely have a fuel feed problem,. air in the system,. bleed back,. low fuel pressure,.etc etc,.
every 6.5 6.2 i,ve had, will start even if there are only 4 glows working,. those cyls will fire and then the rest will follow suit as it gains rpm,. and you can hear them firing everytime etc,.
your mentioning its easier if you prime it with fuel is the dead giveaway to fuel issue,.
make sure your lift pump is working and has decent pressure,.

Nick

ttpost
04-08-2013, 17:55
I have good fuel pressure , all glow plugs are working , i have cleared codes 13 and 14.(repaired) . but still no luck with dtc 18. i have a flow chart from all data.com, theres one step im not sure about, it says to probe d with the ground on a test light hooked up to b, then it asks if the light is on, it doesnt ask for voltage like the other tests. I do have 5 volts at d , but its not enough to light up the test light, so im not sure if i am supposed to have 5 or 12 volts at terminal d on ops wiring loom. any suggestions are appreciated .

john8662
04-09-2013, 07:00
Test light isn't of use when testing PCM controlled circuits. You have to use a volt meter. If it says +5v, or even +12v (like on the glow controller command circuit) it won't light up a test light, but will register on a volt meter.

Most likely on the Cam Reference you need an injection pump.

ttpost
04-09-2013, 09:04
I was going off what alldata test procedure , it says to use a test light, so possibly not enough amp to light up the bulb , but enough to show on meter? thanks for ur reply