PDA

View Full Version : "T" stat housing modification...help.

6.542762mw
05-05-2005, 17:39
I have searched this web site and purchased the 6.5L turbo diesel book from the club and found that either Im just as confused with this modification on the housing with out the book and web site, how is it that there is no degree angles listed for the cuts nor is there a suggestion on how to cut it, hacksaw? bandsaw? Other? When it comes down to this everybody has gremlins pop up. I really need specific information rather than increase picture 10 percent! These parts are hard enough to buy once let alone a second time. Any help here?

thanks

Mark

More Power
05-05-2005, 19:31
Scale the pic up to the correct size (or send me an SASE, and I'll send you one), then cut out the individual pieces of the drawing. Lay each individual cutout on the thermostat housing, mark the angle with a sharpie felt pen, then use your hacksaw or bandsaw to make the cuts.

Square up the rough cuts using a file or belt sander (to make the cuts flat), then have the pieces tig welded together like what the photos show.

I suppose angles (in degrees) could have been determined, and included on the drawings. I thought more people would have a felt pen and a hacksaw, than would have a CNC laser. :D

MP

6.542762mw
05-06-2005, 08:16
I have taken some crude measurements for the angles for these cuts, the lowest cut appears to be on a 40 degree and the sencond on a 52 degree.
A suggestion for cutting has been made to use a cut off saw and set the angles on the saw to 40 and 52. Does anyone concure with these figures, or have a different degrees to suggest?

This way I see that you wouldnt need to increase the picture in size or risk a poor cut with a hacksaw.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Mark

More Power
05-06-2005, 15:09
Mark,

I have personally hacksawed 2 or 3 dozen of these. Not a one of them were ruined in the process, not even the original prototype, which is still in use today - more than six years later.

The angles are not all that critical. I recommend getting the steel bracket made first, then once you have the aluminum outlet pieces cut, tape them together for a trial fit in the bracket. You can easily modify an angle or two to get a perfect fit. Once you have the fit correct, use your Sharpie pen to mark orientation of each piece in relation to the others, to help the welder get it right.

The first one's always the hardest. smile.gif

MP

[ 05-06-2005, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: More Power ]