PDA

View Full Version : P0045 code

lmholmes11
04-16-2013, 19:12
My bro in law has a 2004.5 and it is throwing a p0045 code, turbo vane position circuit fault.

I took it to school to hook up the tech 2 but it was not available. On the way to school it went into limp mode and would not go above 65mph and when it reached 65 it would smoke white/gray smoke when at Wot. Under normal driving it would not smoke. On the way home it didn't limp.

So...how can I test the sensor and solenoid without the tech 2 and looking at the vane position? I read somewhere I can un plug the sensor and put a test light on the engine side plug in with a cold engine and when it warms up if it flashes on and off then the ECM and circuits are operating ok. Then it's probably the sensor.

Any suggestions?

More Power
04-18-2013, 10:46
Bite the bullet, and just let the dealer perform a "vane position re-learn" using a Tech II. This'll tell you whether the parts are working correctly. If not, you may need a new acutator (once you determine the turbo vane components are free to move).

Jim

Kennedy
04-18-2013, 12:17
These variable turbos have been getting a bit tricky. Usually it is LBZ's and trucks that sit a lot. Usually its the P2563 code and guys replace the vane sensor w/o results, Ends up being turbo istelf sticking. Hopefully that is not the case with yours.