PDA

View Full Version : Help with 6.2 factory stampings on block

TrenchFoot
04-16-2013, 20:13
I have a block ready for reassembly and just now read the tech article on the meaning of the numbers and letters stamped into the bottom of the block. (http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/features/crankbearingsc.htm is a good read, but it took me a couple passes to really absorb it.)

My main cap stamps are front to rear: 1-1-2-2-2. It looks like some of my new standard size main bearings are gonna be replaced with undersize ones. I need to measure the crank or hope there's still paint on it to figure out the right pairings for them.

The letter stampings are not fully explained in the article though. All but one of my cylinders is stamped with a C, #3 is stamped D.

What's the significance of the letter stampings? Does anyone rebuilding 6.2s really adhere to the main cap 'select fit' routine like they did at the factory?

Seems like a lot of unused bearings would get tossed in the trash if you had to mix and match different sized sets.

john8662
04-16-2013, 22:18
Built several 6.2 and 6.5's that had different sized bearings coming out.

I just used STD bearings. Clearance was good on the cranks and when I assembled them and measured clearance with plastigauge during assembly, nothing out of the ordinary.

J

TrenchFoot
04-17-2013, 00:02
Checked tonight and most main cap paint markings were still visible, backed up with what my caliper showed. The factory used a lot of .013mm undersize bearings. Only 2 of my 10 bearing halves "should" be std, wish I'd known that when I ordered the set. I guess I'll have to trust the plastigage and hope I can get it done with the set I have. The rod bearings look standard tho, again I'll be trusting the plastigage.

Anyone know the significance of the letter stamping regarding the bore measurements?

Thanks for the feedback,
Trapper