PDA

View Full Version : Dry U Joint Sound

TJNE
04-18-2013, 15:57
2007 GMC Classic 4x4 I have a sound in the LF wheel that sounds "Like" a dry u joint. I only hear it in cold weather when I turn right. I don't hear it when I go straight or turn left, when it warms up it goes away. I have checked the CV boots and they are intact and tight on both ends. I can not get it to do it when I jack up the LF and spin it by hand, I don't think I can spin it fast enough. I thought wheel bearing but usually you can hear them going straight also and regardless of ambient temperature. Before I go spending a lot of money on a wheel hub and axle I would like to know if this a common problem.

rapidoxidationman
04-18-2013, 17:51
Wheel hub failures are common, at least in my experience with a 2003 and a 2005 DMax. When the wheel is off the ground is there any play if you grab the top and bottom of the wheel and try to shake it back and forth (push on top, pull on bottom and vice versa)?

CoyleJR
04-18-2013, 19:24
TJNE,

Check for a loose wheel. I had a wheel come loose last year and it sounded like a dry U-joint.

Good Luck
John

TJNE
04-19-2013, 07:25
I jacked the LF up and the the wheel moves. Can I get enough clearance to replace the hub without separating the lower ball joint?

DmaxMaverick
04-19-2013, 08:24
I jacked the LF up and the the wheel moves. Can I get enough clearance to replace the hub without separating the lower ball joint?

Yes. It's an easy job, once you get the bolts loose. The caliper bracket and axle shaft nut will be a bear, so use HD tools, LONG, or cheat. You'll also need a 36mm socket for the axle shaft nut. The nut should be replaced if possible, it's self-locking, designed for one use. If you have to reuse it, use Loc-Tite and torque to spec. Also use Loc-Tite on the hub and caliper bracket bolts. No Loc-Tite on the caliper/adjuster bolts, just clean, dry threads.

TJNE
04-19-2013, 10:36
All done, fixed the problem. I can not find a torque spec for the axle nut. I bet one of you know, please share. Thanks.

DmaxMaverick
04-19-2013, 15:21
Currently, it's 177 ft/lb. It's changed a few times over the years, for some reason. I make it a habit to NOT memorize torque (and other) specs. for that reason.

rustyk
04-19-2013, 18:55
My procedure (which was SOP in the Navy) is to overtorque ~25%, back off, repeat, then torque to spec.