PDA

View Full Version : cam gear bolt

odee
05-05-2005, 19:02
have gotten the bottom end of my engine together, while cleaning parts I noticed that both engines I have for part the cam bolt has some sort of locktite on the threads. Both factory manuals I have don't say anything about the locktite just a torque value. Any ideas?

More Power
05-05-2005, 19:44
I recommend cleaning the treaded hole and the bolt threads using brake cleaner, then use Loc-Tite 242 on the threads. I've heard of them working loose - more so on electronic engines.

Bolt torque for DB2 engines is 65 ft/lbs and 125 ft/lbs for electronic engines. Later 6.5's reportedly got a bolt upgrade, though they may all be a grade 10....

The cam bolt used in the 6.5 Project was torqued at 65 ft/lbs using Loc-Tite 242 - 160,000 miles and counting.....

MP

odee
05-06-2005, 09:42
thanks stopped by the dealer this morning and picked up my head dowels. Talked to a guy there that fools with these engines some. He put locktite on the cam plate bolts and the cam gear bolt so I guess I will pull my chain back off and glue those two bolts also. thanks

damork
05-06-2005, 10:45
I question the new number they use because it appears high based on bolt grades they use. I can't get the math to agree to the numbers they use for the grade of bolt they have there and would welcome an explanation using solid engineering data.

I've done my share of engineering calculations on threads and this one has never addded up. I replaced my chain with gears and calculated 90 lbf-ft as a more acceptable torque, but it's up to each to do what they have to. I know several rebuilders I've talked to agree with the approach I followed and they were doing it before I talked to them.

I tried finding a good explanation from GM engineering but I was a bit over optimistic that they would respond. If I had to do it over I would do it the same again. I've had the experience of twisting bolts off in an engine block due to improper torque specs listed in a factor service manual.