PDA

View Full Version : A arm Suspension Question?

scot5146
04-27-2013, 21:51
Hey y'all...

Ok, so it's been awhile but here is my new problem... 99 k2500 8 lug suburban 6.5...

I have a 2" leveling kit on it, but it is wearing out ball joints, tie rods, etc... now I am not able to get the tires straight (aligned)...

I AM TRYING TO FIND UPPER A ARMS THAT ARE CORRECTED/Extended to fix the problem...

It looks like airbagit.com make something but I have never heard of them...

I dont want to remove the 2" leveling kit because I like the look of it and can't afford the 2k for the rcd, fabtech, tuff country, etc.. just looking for solution for upper A arms.

Thanks again

Mike

DmaxMaverick
04-27-2013, 22:36
Either get a real lift, or live with short-lived ball joints, CV joints, pitman arms, etc, etc. That's the price of a short-cut. You'll be money ahead with the real thing, that keeps everything aligned. Otherwise, keep replacing parts. BTW, 2" can be had with the stock cam adjusters, almost every time, for free. Same result, though. "Leveling kits" are almost always snake oil.

scot5146
04-27-2013, 23:03
Well I guess I will look into the SAS swap again, I didnt want to spend the money but in the long run I am leaning that way... Mainly because I may down the road try a different motor in the burb after the 6.5 is dead...

Thanks for the info, I will replace the parts for now...

Mike

AKMark
04-28-2013, 10:29
I know several people who have installed leveling kits on several types of vehicles, and ALL of them have had problems.

Either lift it the right way. (SAS is cool) or leave it stock. If you gonna tow, leave it stock.

I have a young friend that cannot seem to help himself and always lifts things then wonders why they don't tow for crap afterward.....

trbankii
04-28-2013, 11:45
I dont want to remove the 2" leveling kit because I like the look of it and can't afford the 2k for the rcd, fabtech, tuff country, etc.. just looking for solution for upper A arms.

Well I guess I will look into the SAS swap again, I didnt want to spend the money but in the long run I am leaning that way... Mainly because I may down the road try a different motor in the burb after the 6.5 is dead.

You can't afford to lift it properly, but you're looking at a solid axle swap ($$$$) and a engine swap? And how does doing a SAS better prepare you for doing an engine swap down the road? A SAS usually requires more lift so that the solid axle clears the oil pan.

AKMark
04-28-2013, 21:40
I missed that part....

Agree though, if you cannot afford to lift it properly, how can you afford to lift it any other way? New driveshafts and all related parts are spendy.

Remove the leveling kit. Seriously, they are crap.

scot5146
04-29-2013, 06:36
I did not explain my self very well... The Ifs kits all cost about 2k if done right, if I have to spend that much I would rather do the solid axle swap.

I also was considering a Cummins down the road, I have a handle on one for super cheap...

Anyway, thanks all for the advice!

Mike

vsandme
05-01-2013, 18:06
Typically the leafs you would use in a SFA swap would give you the lift you need, and since youre welding you can use any leafs you want so its just a matter of shakle/ blocking the rear to match depending on tire size... But IIRC the front suspension has camber adjustments, which if its a torsion (spelling? sorry for the ignorance if im wrong:) bars the raising it only increases the camber in the front, and there should be adjustments to reduce camber. or so the case was on my k1500suburban. Sorry if this was in no way helpful