PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from IN.

Yamaha
05-02-2013, 12:37
Hello, I joined up to learn more as I am looking into repowering my newest purchase to diesel power.

It is a '63 IH c1500, currently a gas bg241, 4sp, 2sp rear, hydraulic hoist flatbed, etc.

http://indycarscene.com/photopost/data/500/medium/IMG_20130501_095250_690.jpg

I am planning a cab off resto to fix that pesky IHC floor rust that they seemed to have added as a free option. In the process, I am lusting after an old Detroit(6-71T to be specific) for this truck, if it will fit inside naturally. The truck is a medium duty, so I don't think the heavy detroit will be much of a problem.

Anyways, I hope to be able to find some guys here who know a thing or two about them, troubleshooting, what to look for, etc.

Disclaimer: [flamesuit on] I WILL NOT put a Cummins in this [/flamesuit off] :p

DmaxMaverick
05-02-2013, 12:50
Welcome aboard!

Sounds like a fun project. If you aren't dead-set on the Detroit, a more practical (and politically correct) option may be the DT466, which is an IH engine (and a good one). Another possibility is a Cat 3208. Nothing against Detroit V's, but they aren't as easy to shoehorn into small bays, and access for maintenance (which they tend to need more of) is more limited.

Yamaha
05-02-2013, 13:49
I am going to measure the engine bay tonight, and snagged dimensions for the 4-53, 4-71, 6v53, 6v71, 6-71, 8v71, 3208 cat, 3116 cat, and I already have the dimensions for the 7.3L powerstroke.

I'm honestly decently dead set on the detroit mainly for their sound, power, and the prices I can get them at(if I look hard enough). Plus it'd be somewhat unique. :)

DmaxMaverick
05-02-2013, 14:16
Good luck!

Please start a thread in the "Diesel Conversions" (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/forumdisplay.php?f=58) forum when you get started on it, whatever your choice. We'd like to follow your progress.

BTW, the non-Ford-branded Powerstroke is the Navistar T-444. Another good choice, and it's IH.

Yamaha
05-02-2013, 20:17
Good luck!

Please start a thread in the "Diesel Conversions" (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/forumdisplay.php?f=58) forum when you get started on it, whatever your choice. We'd like to follow your progress.

BTW, the non-Ford-branded Powerstroke is the Navistar T-444. Another good choice, and it's IH.

Absolutely.....I just measured my engine bay, it is 45" from firewall to core support, 29" wide between the frame rails(35" wide above them), and 45" tall from the hood to the axle. I know by specs I've found the 4-71 will fit, but I'll need to find a 6-71 to measure for sure.

BTW, if you were the one I emailed, thank you greatly for the speedy reply and activation. :)

DmaxMaverick
05-02-2013, 23:35
Absolutely.....I just measured my engine bay, it is 45" from firewall to core support, 29" wide between the frame rails(35" wide above them), and 45" tall from the hood to the axle. I know by specs I've found the 4-71 will fit, but I'll need to find a 6-71 to measure for sure.

BTW, if you were the one I emailed, thank you greatly for the speedy reply and activation. :)

If you like it and it fits, more power to ya! (even if it's a Cummins) However, don't forget you'll have to get back in there for "normal" maintenance stuff, at some point. Just because it'll "fit", doesn't mean it'll "fit" you later. You also have to consider the peripherals, such as exhaust, intake, other plumbing and electrical. The engine may go in, but the other stuff has to get in/out. A 6/V-71 is a big SOB, long or fat.

No, it wasn't me. Could have been, but Jim beat me to it. That's how we roll..... You guys (and gals) are the reason we are here.

Yamaha
05-03-2013, 08:16
Yea, I do want to make sure I can get to things somewhat easily, I'm used to working on SHO's and tractors at this point. So having to tear apart half the thing wouldn't be that bad compared to the other stuff I work on.