PDA

View Full Version : Bought a '95 C2500

CedarGrove
05-06-2013, 18:35
Picked up a '95 C2500 off of craigslist last week and got it home today. The owner said the motor had a knock. I started it today and I would say that knock is not the right word. What it has is a godawful racket. Anyway, I am looking forward to poking and prodding to determine the problem.

It starts like a champ and has 40+ psi of oil pressure. Sounds like the racket is coming from the valve covers. I am going to check the torque convertor bolts first, then yank the valve covers. I have never heard a knocking injector but can not imagine that an injector could make a racket of this sort but will check that.

Is it possible to have a broken crank and still have good oil pressure?

I have a military GEP that I rebuilt last year sitting in a crate ready to go in if things get ugly. I would like to get a couple more years out of the engine in the truck if possible. The truck has 196,000 miles on the clock and I have no history on it. No idea when injectors/pump was changed. Clean interior and the air conditioning and power windows/locks work. It's a long bed extended cab. It will be a huge upgrade from my current '84 C10 6.2 daily driver if I can get it straight.

I will update as things develop.

Lewis

Yukon6.2
05-06-2013, 19:58
Hi Lewis
My 6.2 sounded like it was going to fly apart a couple of springs ago.This happened while i was driving to p/u a load of used oil from the big city.
My friend who is a mechanic was with me,we did all the diagnosis we could as far as pulling the glows to see if they were hamered,this was on the side of the road.
Anyhow i found a quart of Marval Mystery Oil in my goodies box,dumped that in and said may as well see what happens and continued on.Started out and could only drive so fast before the hamering got loud,as the miles went by i found myself going faster and you really had to listen to hear it.
It's still running,which is great,i don't have the time to swap motors.
Hopefully you get lucky too
Thomas

CedarGrove
05-07-2013, 07:11
Here is a link to some poor video of the racket. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJm6L_m2VFA&feature=youtu.be

john8662
05-07-2013, 09:10
check for codes for any cylinder misfire codes this will help you pinpoint the trouble cylinder.

Kinda sounds like valvetrain.

J

CedarGrove
05-07-2013, 10:32
I do agree on the valve train bit. I hope to have time on Saturday to dig in to this most interesting specimen.

Yukon6.2
05-07-2013, 19:05
You could loosen injector lines see if you could narrow down to which cylinder.
Thomas

CedarGrove
05-08-2013, 08:13
check for codes for any cylinder misfire codes this will help you pinpoint the trouble cylinder.

Kinda sounds like valvetrain.

J

Codes indicate cylinder imbalance on 1,2 and 8.

Balancer, pully, torque convertor, and flywheel all appear to be in good shape.

I'm going to disect the top end on Saturday.

greatwhite
05-08-2013, 14:43
Its hard to tell from my iphone speaker but it almost sounds like exhaust leaks. Could just be the crappy sound on my phone though...

phantom309
05-08-2013, 16:55
as was mentioned crack injector lines,.
i have had an injector stick and it sounded just like that,.

let us know,.

nick