PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 td fuel filter housing leaking

Vin82k3500
05-14-2013, 16:48
Has anyone had an issue with the fuel filter housing or canister on a 6.5 td leaking

I recently sold the one I had on a truck I drove daily and the buyer messaged me saying that he installed the rebuild kit and the unit is leaking and asked me if it is common

I have personally only seen improperly installed fuel filters cause these to leak

I have messaged him back asking if he replaced the filter and gave him the link for the napa gold filter

waiting for response hopefully it works out for him as I said I never had an issue them leaking I changed them on the roadside

the only reason I am not using it now is that when I installed my new engine I used a 6.2 intake and fuel filter setup for my year truck which I perfer:confused:

john8662
05-15-2013, 07:06
They can leak just about everywhere.

Usually the o-ring on the bottom. Some of these are hard to seal. Takes a very good cleanup on the sealing surfaces to ensure the new o-ring seals, also stays in place when it's installed.

There are two fuel filters for the FM-100.

The new plastic pos version, and the old metal top version.

Both can leak if not tight, sometimes you get a faulty filter that has a bad seal, a nick in the seal. Again, sealing surface up top needs to be clean too, no nicks and grime accumulation.

Hot-wire the fuel lift pump and keep it on while you dry and look for the leak on the filter housing.

J

Robyn
05-15-2013, 07:33
I have never had an issue wth these when they are new, but have had several fail on high mile rigs.

The bottom of the heater units rots out due to water and then leaks through the heater and out the wire grommet.

The basic filter housing is usually fine unless it's been molested.

My solution was to toss the factory filter and install a raycor with a spin on filter/water bowl.

You might ask your guy if the thing is leaking at the bottom around the heater wire, and if thats it, the only fix is a new heater assembly.

Missy

Vin82k3500
05-16-2013, 09:39
thanks for the response the guy messaged me back I had asked him all of the above and then some because it didnt leak when I took it off my truck

I only replaced it because my truck had the newer setup on the first diesel that was in it and when I installed my new long block I put all 84 parts on the engine including the fuel filter setup

he messaged me back

I am so sorry I sent this to the wrong person so no issues after all phew:)

captaincrunch
03-06-2016, 16:43
OK, so mine has just now stared leaking at the o-ring on the bottom. Where do you get the o-ring? Mine is completely flat, is it supposed to be like a true o-ring, round?

Can I just find anyone that is the same size, or is it a special o-ring?

I can't seem to find an answer on the internet

Robyn
03-06-2016, 18:14
Are you speaking of the ring that seals the fuel heater ??

The heaters also have a nasty habit of leaking internally and dripping out the hole the wires go in.

If this is the case, toss it and get a good Racor and you will be set.

I mounted mine up near the alternator on a bracket.

Spin on type filter with a see through water bowl.

No more need to crawl all over the engine to change the filter either.

Be sure if you swap the filter that what you get can flow 35 GPH.