PDA

View Full Version : 04 chevy 5500

quality64
05-15-2013, 13:20
I got A 04 Chevy 5500. with a 6.6 . My Radiator has broke and filled my Tranny with water.. Any suggestions on how to Flush.. Thanks Troy

More Power
05-15-2013, 14:09
Bummer.....

1st, fix the coolant leak....

Others may have suggestions as well, but I would remove the drain plug and drain the transmission pan. I'd be tempted to do this with the engine idling for 30-60 seconds after the pan has nearly stopped draining - to get as much out of the torque converter as possible.

R&R the transmission spin-on filter (be sure not to lose the donut magnet). Refill the trans. May take up to about 20 quarts (total empty to full capacity is 22 quarts).

If the ATF looks at all out of the ordinary after a 40-50 miles, I'd drain the pan again. Jim

quality64
05-16-2013, 04:50
Thanks For Your Help.. We drained it twice yesterday , and still have major discolor.. Going to try again this morning.. Thanks Troy

More Power
05-16-2013, 11:39
ATF is expensive, but the Allison is too. I'd replace the ATF as many times as necessary (within reason).

Well-equipped service centers advertise transmission flush capability. Might be worth a shot, but I don't have any experieince with these types of services.

Let us know how it goes and what the final result was.

Jim