PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 main and rod bearings

OIL BURN
05-18-2013, 04:00
Since main and rod bearings in ,0005 and .001 sizes seem to be harder to find,I've noticed different brands having minium stock of one or the other.Some are available in sealed power and king brands which I've read that don't perform very well,and clevite seems to be less and less available.

What exactly is the problem with the king or sealed power brands that some members won't use them? The sizes above are in thousands of an inch.

All input appreciated.

OIL BURN

sctrailrider
05-18-2013, 04:07
I know that Peninsular Diesel has the bearings and sell them in singles if needed without buying a full set...

I believe Clevite & Mahale still sell the .0005 & .001.....

I have always read that kings have too soft of what ever they use and don't hold up to high pressure diesels but don't know for sure...

OIL BURN
05-18-2013, 04:12
Thanks Scatrailrider.I just remembered that I think the kings are made of aluminum,don't know for sure.

OIL BURN

Robyn
05-18-2013, 07:01
Personally, I would not mess with the .0005 and .001 under bearings.

Using standards works fine

These engines are happy little campers with clearance at .0025"-.003"

Mixing and matching to get real tight clearances on these engines is IMHO not even worth it.

The .0025" is the sweet spot and going below this is not adviseable.

A tad extra clearance is good insurance.

The factories push to get the clearance down into the .0018 area is just not necessary.

The mains are fine at .003"

Unless the crank has been ground I always use standards

Just plastigage each one and be sure they are in spec

Factory spec on the rods is .0018"-.0035"

Missy

OIL BURN
05-19-2013, 06:38
Thanks Robyn,you saved me from pulling out whats left of my hair.We've measured the main bearing bores which were all "D" stamped and checked for alignment and could not find more than .0005 to just under .001 difference in alignment and bore size.I've always thought this was within the limits so when I checked the the original stamped sizes,.0005 in block and standard in cap,I thought this was done to correct an alignment issue.
Based on what you've said,all I need to do is to plastigauge and have the oil clearance you recommend and all is well.Reassurance is always a boost ,since this is the last 660 block I have.

Thanks Again

OIL BURN

OIL BURN
05-22-2013, 03:39
With bearing sizes resolved,for educational reasons,does anyone know the metalurgical structure /differences between King,Sealed Power,Clevite bearings?Could be help on other diesel/gas builds.

Thanks
OIL BURN

Dr. Lee
05-26-2013, 10:26
For information on King bearings, take a look at:
http://www.kingbearings.com/files/Engine_Bearing_Materials.pdf

The same basic descriptions apply to the engine bearings made by all (reputable) manufacturers.

For our 6.2L and 6.5L engines, King offers both bimetal (SI) aluminum bearings and trimetal (CP) copper-lead bearings. We should ONLY use the CP bearings.

Sealed Power is now an aftermarket brand for Federal Mogul, and will offer trimetal copper-lead bearings for our engines.

Clevite is now an aftermarket brand for Mahle, but using the original Clevite technology for trimetal copper-lead bearings. Maybe my bias is showing, but this would be my preferred recommendation :rolleyes: .

Any of these three brands will perform well in our diesel engines, if you are SURE to use the superior trimetal copper-lead alloys.

OIL BURN
05-26-2013, 16:59
Thank you DR.Lee for your reply,It helps clarify the choices and I've always liked the copper/lead type since the mid 1960's. I did go on the king bearing site and found aluminum-silicon bi-metal bearings as being more compatable with nodular cast iron crankshafts but no copper lead type unless I missed the section on this. Also Iv'e read some posts with journal failure with this aluminum type bearing,but again was it the bearing,assembly tecnique,or lubrication problem. I'll go with your recommendation.

Thanks
OIL BURN