PDA

View Full Version : What Fuel Additave To Use?????

My 02 Duramax
05-25-2013, 13:00
Hi Everybody,

I just purchased my first Diesel. It's a 2002 Duramax LB7, 140 k. I bought it from a older couple that mainly did the Sunday drives with it, and towed their 5th wheel a couple times a year. Everything is stock on it. No Lift kit, Not Chipped either. Like I said everything is Stock. Question I have is this...
What Fuel Additive should I use that I don't have to pull a second mortgage.
Naturaly I went into Wal Mart and found a couple different brands but couldn't decide.

Kennedy
05-25-2013, 19:24
FPPF Total Power

More Power
05-28-2013, 11:27
It's important to know that the diesel fuel injection industry generally does not recommend using any of the estimated 150 different brands of diesel fuel additive on the market today. For those diesel owners who wish to use a fuel additive, a small number of those available stand out by the simple fact that they are widely available. For a fuel additive to be useful, it must be available at the larger retail outlets and fuel stations or easily obtained in quantity through the net. If you buy your choice of commercial diesel fuel additive in a 5 gallon container, a 1:1000 fuel treatment cost could be as low as 2.5 cents per gallon of diesel fuel. This low cost eliminates ATF, motor oil, 2-cycle oil, or SVO as a contender when used as a fuel lubricity additive.

Numerous fleet fuel economy tests have been conducted through the years to determine the economics of treating diesel fuel. Those tests have shown that a commercial fuel additive that contains a cetane improver usually increases fuel economy enough to pay for the cost of treatment. Due to a much smaller sampling and sometimes significant changes in driving conditions over time, individuals have a harder time identifying a fuel economy increase. Personally, I use a widely available commercial diesel fuel additive that advertises a range of properties, which include at a minimum: cetane booster, injector cleaner and additional fuel lubricity.

Jim

DieselDavy
05-29-2013, 08:34
Jim,
Would that be FPPF Total Power?
(I do use it, purchased from Kennedy. A couple of us buy it a case at a time and split the cost)

More Power
05-29-2013, 10:18
Jim,
Would that be FPPF Total Power?
(I do use it, purchased from Kennedy. A couple of us buy it a case at a time and split the cost)

FPPF is as good as any commercial fuel treatment. I usually alternate, depending on availability, and when I need to get more. Local is convenient.... Jim

EdHale
05-30-2013, 04:15
I also use FPPF that I get from John. I don't have anyone to share with so a case lasts a LONG time

DieselDavy
05-30-2013, 05:46
I haven't seen FPPF locally. But I'll admit, I rarely go inside the big truck stops, Wal-Mart or any of the other big Dept. stores if I can help it! I buy everything locally that I can, but in this case, I've had good luck with John so I will continue to support him! (I guess "The Diesel Page" Community is sort of local for all of us, right....)

crafty
06-04-2013, 09:03
I've been using Stanadyne Fuel treatment continually for the last 6 years (previous to that I only used it in the winter) and when I changed injectors in January, two that were original still tested within spec. It was 3 others that had been replaced under warranty that went bad. I managed to go that 6 year span with no issues so I'll continue with the fuel treatment. It costs me about $3.00 a tank full to do it and I can get it by the bottle or the case for that price ($9 a bottle which is good for three fill ups) from a local heavy truck dealer.:D:D:D